DeltaV IO Error

Roy Matson

Hi
I hope someone can help solve this.
I have 3 rack DeltaV system about 5 years old.
Just recently all I/O modules except 1 AI started flashing error with Diagnostics showing "BAD".
I did the following.
Downloaded network
"Auto Sense Module", this shows all slots except one "Empty"
Checked Bus connections for tightness
Checked Power Supply voltage.
Moved the good module around, seems to work in any slot (is reading field value correctly)
Called local DeltaV expert, they couldn't shed any light.
Has anyone seen this error?
Regards
Roy

Welcome to PLCs.net, Roy.

Some generic ideas, not necessarily Delta V

Do the 'faulting' modules work like the 'good' module?

If the good module reads OK in any slot then the backplane must be good, unless, maybe, could the power supply carry the single 'good' module, but fade under the load of multiple modules?
Do all the bad units have the same date code and the good one a different date code? There have been component (capacitor) issues over the years that might affect a whole bunch of same production run modules. Marginal performance then aging puts them over the edge and they fault?

Did the faults occur all at the same time? Lightning damage?

Dan

Last edited:
DeltaV Fault

Danw,
Thanks for your prompt response. I will address your questions.
No, the Faulting module do not read, all the values have dropped off the bottom of scale.
All the modules are in place, I tried removing half i.e. Odd modules, then the Even modules with the same result. The power supply is 24 VDC feeding the racks, measures 24 VDC at the rack terminals.
I believe they all failed at the same time.
I thought of lightning damage but all the wiring is on a small skid well inside a steel frame. Some of the modules are not wired (a lot of the wiring was removed)
I hate to think all the modules are US, we only need them for a few more tests then the skid will be de-commissioned.
Thanks again.
Roy