Allen Bradley BASIC Modules

Hi all,

I have been given the task of surveying all of the 'BASIC' modules that we are using around the factory. The only problem is...i dont know what one is. I have been shown what one looks like but id like to know a bit more about them. I believe that the ones we use have a program that deals with the communications to the Eurotherm temperature controllers that we use.
I hope this makes sense. I havent really been given that much information and i havent had much luck with the search engines.

Also is it possible to get a backup copy of the program from within these units?

Cheers

If it is SLC 500 download this publication from the AB site.

1746 bas-um004_-en-p.pdf

On your other question you can upload the program using hyperterminal. You need a communication cable, (you can use a null modem cable) and you have to set jumper 4 to program mode.

the second link in your post needs me to log in. is there any chance of getting a copy of the PDF or something similar?
That would be extremely helpful! :)

Cheers for all the help. i clearly need to brush up on my searching skills.

Cheers.

Just to clear it.... my previous post contains the links that others have indicated later....

Mouse over PLC Names.... :D

The other document you mentioned, needs a valid TechConnect support contract with Rockwell to login and view ... :cry:

- [font=comic sans ms,sans-serif]fuzzy logic[/font]

Perfect. Thanks a lot for all the help guys. i will report back when ive read through this information and had a look for some of our units.;

Cheers

Now i understand a little more about these units i have another question.

Is it possible to get the C code embedded into them...out again. We are vunerable from these units falling over and we have no backups of this C code. Anyone got any suggestions?

I'm not sure what you mean by "embedding the C code into them" The program is battery backed up in the module. If you are losing programs you might want to change the battery.

There are compiled C code modules loaded into the BASIC modules. We have no backups of these programs and desperately need to get hold of them.
The problem is not that we are losing programs but if the unit is to fall over due to a failure in the hardware we have no backups and so will have to start from scratch! not a good situation. i hope i have explained that a little better.

Cheers.

OK, misunderstood. If you want to have a copy of the programs, which by all means you should, then you can upload the program by using Hyperterminal, save it as a text file, ie notepad or wordpad.
(use copy/paste.) Now you cannot go online like a PLC. you will have to shut down, remove the module, change jumper 4 to program mode, reinstall module,power back up. Do you have a cable? If so attach it to port 1. When you start Hypreterminal the program will upload. The manual explains all this in detail. Be sure to power back down and change the jumper back to run after you have the program saved on the laptop.

Hope this helps

BMW

One more thing after you have established communication with the module, type the word "list" at the prompt (without the quotes) then enter. This will upload the program.

Are you sure that 1771-DBs are all you have? There are also 1771-DMC co-processors that can run BASIC, Compiled C and even assembler. I don't think you would be able to extract the Compiled C routines from these. You would need the original source code.