Verify outputs on SLC 500

sammie

This is probably going to sound strange, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to check if an output has actually sent the signal on an AB SLC? I have a SLC 5/05 that is doing the usual machine control, but it is also sending data to a robotic cutter in the form of a group output tied to a group input on the robot, which tells it which holes and cutouts to put in the part. If an output fails, (which I know is rare) the wrong group number will be sent. The wrong part will be produced. There are over 1500 possible part configurations –too many to humanly manage. For example say part XYZ has a value of 255. After all conditions are met, the PLC will turn on outputs 0-7 which will activate inputs 0-7 on the cutter. If output 2 (bit 3) fails then the 255 becomes 251 etc. etc. The PLC scan will still show the output as on. I have no empty slots left, so I cannot wire from the robot back to the SLC to tell it what inputs were actually received. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the verbage, but it's kind of hard to explain.

Quickest way? Probably parallel wire the outputs back to a set of inputs on the same SLC, and confirm that they match.

Flag an error if there is a disagreement.

The robot supports DeviceNet, EthernetIP, ControlNet, Profibus, and CCLink (Fanuc's proprietary). I must say I am not very good with any of these. There is supposedly a Remote IO unit specifically for AB that can be purchsasd. However i do not have any empty slots left in the SLC or i would have done what rdrast suggets.

TWControls said:
He didn't have any spare slots

Whoops, mybad... didn't finish reading before getting called away from the desk.

Well, if no open slots, are there any 8 (16) point input modules that could be swapped for a 16 (32) point one?

Probably the most inexpensive fix would be rdrast's swap to a higher point concentration

You say it supports Ethernet/IP, does the robot have the option? Your SLC 5/05 has Ethernet.

Unfortunately all the current input cards are AC for the machine control. I would need a DC sink input card. Does AB have a 32 pt input card with half AC and half DC? I didn't see one in the literature. If so then problem solved. I toyed with adding an expansion rack, but there is no room in the panel, i would have to build a new panel, and i really don't want to do that. I then looked at adding a small Micrologix to do some of the machine control, but I don't like having 2 PLCs on one machine. It seems any way i try to go i hit a dead end.

is there room for another chassis VERY nearby? ... if so look into a "chassis interconnect cable" such as 1746-C6, 1746-C9, or 1746-C16 ... note that you'll need a new chassis and power supply - but this will give you more slots by "extending" your existing chassis ...

TWC
I failed to mention that the ethernet channel on the SLC is already being used. Due to the amount of part numbers involved, and the limited time i was given to install the equipment, the only way I could come up with was to use a PC to handle the database. The operator scans the part label into Excel, then Excel goes into a lookup table to find the part number and the part value associated with it, and with some VBA sends the part value to the SLC via Ethernet. The SLC does some conditioning then sends the outputs to the robot. The serial port on the SLC is being used for HMI.
This whole problem comes from people getting involved in equipment that have no business being involved. Instead of having the robot integrator do a complete system, my geniuses at corporate went to 5 different vendors, to save a few bucks, and bought this stuff piecemeal shipped it to me, and I became the integrator. Sorry for getting off the subject but i had to vent a little.

Ken and John

According to AB local the only 32 pt input cards are DC. Am i being told wrong? Do either of you have a part number for a 32 AC?

Go Ethernet. Easiest way, Use an industrial switch to plug in your SLC, Robot card.
If it is an RJ3 asnd such the ehthernet will be easy.
MAp your PLC outputs to the robot inputs, map your robot outputs to you PLC inputs.
You can have registers going back and fourth.
If you need an example I may dig one up for you.
There's a bit of setup on the robot controller, IPs and such but nothing major.
Be aware though!!! the inputs and outputs assigned to the robot will be shifted somehow (don't remember how many registers or offset).
SLC5/05 RJ3iC and a PanelView classic with RIO I have done and also
CompactLogicL32E RJ3iC and a PVPLus1000 other systems.
I cannot send you everything but config for the PLC and parts of the program will be fine. Not sure I have the robot files anywhere.