Machine Build Anyone???

skamaniac

Hello all, I am pretty new to these forums, but I have been working more and more with PLC's and seem to be progressing. I am in the middle of trying to get my manufacturing business up and running and I have just no more time left to work on projects. I am in need of one machine build for my business and I am sure someone here has the skills to complete this for a decent price. I will outline what I am after...

I currently manufacture wire and strip forms. Custom shapes for different industries. I am after a machine that can take wire from a coil or spool and servo feed into a set of forming rollers that makes the wire into a round ring. I don't need much in the way of controls, just some basic stuff (feed length, start, stop, etc.). Here is an example of a machine that does what I need but also incorporates welding and other automation that is not at all needed.

www.gavletrad.se/ringformer_pic.htm

There is also a video on the page. I don't need the welding apparatus or any of the automation that goes along with it. I also think there could be a better way to cut the ring, possible with just an air cylinder and a die and knife. I already have a roll straightener, so I just need someone to design the servo feeds with basic controls going into a few forming rolls that makes the ring shape.

Anyway, this is a start. If anyone is interested in this project please email me and we can go from there. Budget is pretty limited right now, but I really would like to get this going. Thanks everyone!

-Aaron
[email protected]

Hi Aaron,

The picture did not load for me on the website... where are you located? the link is from Sweden... but you are showing an American flag.

What type of PLC are you using? if you are only doing one machine we can help here on this website (if you are looking for just the program) if you need several systems, wiring, design, etc. then you may need some one local, if you are in SC, NC or GA, I can help.

There are many here that would love to get more work (myself included) so you may want to post more details so we all can see them.

Mark

I couldn't get the pics either.
1 When is the due date?
2 Where do you need this?
3 Will you need onsite or off site support?
4 What are the specs? (brand, speed, comms., ect)
If you are in Ky. or In. I will try to extend a helping hand. I can't make any solid plans, 6:00 a.m. Monday we go to the hospital for our 2nd child. So time is what will hurt me.

maybe try typing in this address: www.gavletrad.se and then click on "ringformer" in the left menu bar...

I am in california. The company that makes the above machine is in sweden, I am just using it as an example of what I am after.

ringformer_pic.jpg

I have still have a few months to get it finished. I really only need one right now. I do not need any on or off site support, really just the build and programming. I don't have any specs right now as I am pretty willing to use any brand. I usually build with Automation Direct, but AB or anyone else is ok by me. The only real thing I would be after is a feed speed of around 1000 12" wire pieces (4" rings) per hour minimum. What do you guys think. Hopefully the picture that I attached loaded.

Thanks,
Aaron

I think its very do-able...

But I would want to do some 'on site' stuff, see the parts you are using, talk about layout of machine, etc.

Due to the travel, I think I am out, but I am sure you will get several people jumping at it...

On a side note did you just order a PLC trainer from me??

There was a similar machine that Paula built and a lot of people helped... see this http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=11015&page=1&pp=15&highlight=paula

Mike has some videos http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=86762&postcount=670

How about some size and diameter specifications?

I've built machines like these before and bought a few off the shelf machines and retooled them to do the job. You may be able to purchase something for less than you can manufacture it

I don't see a shear. Must it automatically cut or do they manually do that?

Give as many specs as you can. If you can't do it publicly feel free to email me.
[email protected]

The wire size being ran will be from around .093" - .125". The ring sizes will range from around 2.5" - 15" ID.

For the cut, I was just thinking about some basic air cylinder either making a cut at the top of the ring with a knife and die that holds the wire in place. Really do need a automatic cut as having someone there making a manual action cut would be out of the question.

What kind of metal - brass steel stainless etc etc?

What is tolerance on diameter?
Does it have to be a circle or could it be slightly ovular - what is tolerance?

Could wrap wire around a die that rotates and you would end up with a spring.

Next step would be to cut out loops with a plasma cutter run down the length of the spring.

Gotta think about welding them. Something like a spot welder maybe??

Dan Bentler

No worries about welding, I already have that base covered.

Material will be stainless steel and carbon steel. Rings need to be circular, with a diameter tolerance of around .032".

Wrap around a die and secondary cut would take wayyyyy too long. I am planning on running a minimum of 20,000 of these per week. The product has to be made very cheap because the industry is very competitive. The parts are eventually thrown away in the end process and you just cannot afford to put much labor into it.