Anyone using widescreen LCD for SCADA

flyers

Hi guys,

Just want to know if anyone out there is using wide screen for SCADA system? Will it be a bit too weird using widescreen?

Because nowadays widescreen is much cheaper than the conventional size (square type) LCD.

Just want to know :) thanks.

I've seen that before. Shouldn't matter what resolution/aspect you choose. Just be sure to use a DVI/HDMI connection.

surferb said:
I've seen that before. Shouldn't matter what resolution/aspect you choose. Just be sure to use a DVI/HDMI connection.
Why the DVI/HDMI connection is so important surfer?
Just curious (a lot of widescreens come with analog as well).

Mainly because there's no reason not to use it. Your (large LCD TV/Plasma) display looks so much better at its native resolution when driven with a digital input. Text can easily become illegible when driven by a DB15 (VGA type connector) especially running a lower resolution.

bkottaras said:
Why the DVI/HDMI connection is so important surfer?
Just curious (a lot of widescreens come with analog as well).

surferb said:
Mainly because there's no reason not to use it. Your (large LCD TV/Plasma) display looks so much better at its native resolution when driven with a digital input. Text can easily become illegible when driven by a DB15 (VGA type connector) especially running a lower resolution.

We have existing dual monitors on 1 PC casting system that has an analog 15" LCD for the Operators Interface and had 21" for some trending screens. The 21" died and was replaced with a 19". Not so good. So they ask for a widescreen. We have to go through our IT people for monitor purchases and they get a 24" and the operators install it. It looks sort of OK, bigger but not that clear. Resolution changes didn't help. The operators may not realize how good it could look using DVI. But that would involve two new digital dual monitor cards installed, one would be for the cold backup PC. And I am not real sure if the 15" is DVI. Personally I would not like to use it, I only program it. I am used to very sharp monitors at my office and home. The DVI is really the best way to go.

Hi guys,

Ok, thanks for the info, i got it. I'll go with widescreen ;) Cheaper & more common nowadays.

I wanted to add my .02 to this as well. On the production floor at all the PC's used in our SCADA system we use 21" LCD's and use the digital output described here. The boss/owner want even better in his office. So the IT staff purchased a 52"LCD when the building mechanics first installed and hooked it up they did so in the analog DB15 described here, the resolution was terrible, the IT staff then purchased the required video cards and such for the PC and changed it over to the digital method and talk about a much crisper/clear picture. So yes it does appear to be a performance thing.

JesperMP said:
699 USD for that Dell screen is cheap.
I would like to use it or something similar, but WinCC Flex still does not support widescreen formats. Grrrrr......
Jesper,

have you got 2008?
I received the DVD but haven't installed yet. 2008 does not support wide screen format?
(I mean run time not the development enviroment).