OT, the financial crisis

No income tax, no capital gains tax. Freedom!
TWControls said:
Delta is a good size company.
We aren't that big. We are only 25 people plus a few part time. We have out grown the current building we are renting. My partner and I ( my partner actually runs the company not me ) have bought some land the size of a football field and have just got the permits to start building. The builder just got started last week. So far we have funded everything out of own pockets. We are very conservative financially but there are limits to what we can fund by ourselves.

The point is the financial crisis we are in is going to be interesting. If we don't get a loan to continue building then what? There will be some disappointed builders and we will be stuck paying outrageous rent staying where we are.

I hate the idea of the government bailing out or regulating anything. However I do think the stock holders of companies should expect the board and senior officers of public corporations to have at least half of their wealth in the stock of the company they are controlling. In addition, an officer of a public company cannot sell his/her stock until one year has past and then is limited to 1/2 of the stock. Next year the rest can be sold. This would greatly affect the way the officers and board of a company run the business they manage. Then they would think more like a small business owner and plan for the long term.

The CEO of Washington Mutual is going to make millions for running the company for only a few weeks. I blame the board for hiring the robber. That is why I think the board should also be on the hook for their poor decisions.

The only solution is to force the board and officers to be responsible just like small business owner must be.

The pressure can be applied on your congressmen and also on the people that run the 104K ( I know it is a 401K but it feels like a 104K ) and the people like Fidelity, Schwab etc. Just threaten to move your money unless they comply.

I hate the idea of the government bailing out or regulating anything. However I do think the stock holders of companies should expect the board and senior officers of public corporations to have at least half of their wealth in the stock of the company they are controlling. In addition said:
Peter
I like your ethics on this and philosophy.
I dont mind CEOs getting all them big bucks
PROVIDED the company is profitable - maybe something like profit sharing?? I also feel and agree that the CEO should be responsible and possibly liable for his mistakes and the mistakes of those under him. The top brass of an outfit should suffer just as much or more than the stockholders and employees. Enron is the one that really burns me - there was a whole pack of crooks there and how many got caught and roasted?

Do you really think Schwab is going to listen to just me? I am skeptical that it would work UNLESS half the customers threatened.

I just pulled my mere pittance of 401Ks from Fidelity and have never heard a word from them about it. It was not a drop just a molecule in their bucket so why should they care about me?
Dan Bentler

We aren't going to take it. Tommy .... The Who

leitmotif said:
Peter
I like your ethics on this and philosophy.
I dont mind CEOs getting all them big bucks
PROVIDED the company is profitable - maybe something like profit sharing??
If the company is profitable there will be dividends and perhaps a growth in the value of the stock.

I also feel and agree that the CEO should be responsible and possibly liable for his mistakes and the mistakes of those under him. The top brass of an outfit should suffer just as much or more than the stockholders and employees. Enron is the one that really burns me - there was a whole pack of crooks there and how many got caught and roasted?
The CEO died before they could fine him.

Do you really think Schwab is going to listen to just me? I am skeptical that it would work UNLESS half the customers threatened.
Yes, you are just one. However, I have much more pull. I can move our whole 104K from one company to the next. Still they may not listen but if just 10% protest it will make a difference. Especially in these times.

I just pulled my mere pittance of 401Ks from Fidelity and have never heard a word from them about it. It was not a drop just a molecule in their bucket so why should they care about me?
Dan Bentler
Well I guess it is up to me then. The VP of Fidelity 401Ks came to see me trying to get me to change from John Hancock, run by Manulife a Canadian company, to Fidelity. I think that if a few thousand complained though we might succeed.

The credit crunch is affecting us all. Another UK bank is under the control of our Govt (tax payers liability).

The rewards for the CEO's etc is just obscene. Why not simply pay them 'what they deserve' as a salry and pay bonuses in shares that they can only sell 5% of in a single year. That would keep them very interested in the long term.

As far as your buiness goes, as i understand it, if you are reasonably profitable and have a good order book then you should be able to raise some cash. Maybe just bricks and mortar for now and leave the expensive fittings for a while.

Good luck, hope it works out.

"...If we don't get a loan to continue building then what?..."

Did I read correct? You started putting up a building without securing the funds, through cash outlay or financing, to complete it? If so, that seems to me to be a very risky play. Last building I/we put up, we secured the $3M low interest financing with the city's help of issuing municipal bonds (the city/county wanted to retain the jobs) before we purchased the land. Our out-of-pocket expenses ($300K) was the land purchase option, the interior build out, attorney and misc fees.

Peter Nachtwey said:
We aren't that big. We are only 25 people plus a few part time.
Sorry if that came across the wrong way Peter. The original point was that they would do the same for a 4 month old 1 man operation.
We have out grown the current building we are renting. My partner and I ( my partner actually runs the company not me ) have bought some land the size of a football field and have just got the permits to start building. The builder just got started last week. So far we have funded everything out of own pockets. We are very conservative financially but there are limits to what we can fund by ourselves.

The point is the financial crisis we are in is going to be interesting. If we don't get a loan to continue building then what? There will be some disappointed builders and we will be stuck paying outrageous rent staying where we are.
Congratulations on your continued growth! Glad to see you have done it while taking on so little debt, but we'll get back to that one.
I hate the idea of the government bailing out or regulating anything. However I do think the stock holders of companies should expect the board and senior officers of public corporations to have at least half of their wealth in the stock of the company they are controlling. In addition, an officer of a public company cannot sell his/her stock until one year has past and then is limited to 1/2 of the stock. Next year the rest can be sold. This would greatly affect the way the officers and board of a company run the business they manage. Then they would think more like a small business owner and plan for the long term.

The CEO of Washington Mutual is going to make millions for running the company for only a few weeks. I blame the board for hiring the robber. That is why I think the board should also be on the hook for their poor decisions.

The only solution is to force the board and officers to be responsible just like small business owner must be.
I really struggle with any type of government regulation of business. I believe it really stunts growth. And let's face it, the US government's idea of regulating is usually to add bureaucracy. Just look a Sarbanes-Oxley, which was the knee jerk reaction to the Enron collapse. While it MAY have helped regulate those big corporations, it put those with revenues of around $100 million at a distinct disadvantage, requiring around 2.5% of their revenue to come into compliance. During hard times that 2.5% can be the different between staying affloat and going under.
The pressure can be applied on your congressmen and also on the people that run the 104K ( I know it is a 401K but it feels like a 104K ) and the people like Fidelity, Schwab etc. Just threaten to move your money unless they comply.
I think you have just given a better solution to the problem than caps of CEO salaries and holding the board more accountable. We have had laws in effect for hundreds of years against actual criminal acts, so beyond that, you just have poor decision making. While it can be very costly and destroy lives, it's not against the law. But someone's got to be to blame right? "Let's fire the CEO". But that doesn't fix the problem. The Chairmen of the Board are the next in line, it must be their fault. But wait, who hired them? YOU DID! Anyone who is a stock holder gets their proxy vote in the mail. "Oh, but my money is in mutual funds, I don't actually own stock". You got a proxy vote for who runs the mutual fund. The whole thing is we can keep looking for someone to blame, but in the end, it is us, the stock holders, who have been irresponsible. I selected the CEO, I chose those big bonuses, I caused the banking industry to collapse.

jstolaruk said:
"...If we don't get a loan to continue building then what?..."

Did I read correct? You started putting up a building without securing the funds, through cash outlay or financing, to complete it? If so, that seems to me to be a very risky play. Last building I/we put up, we secured the $3M low interest financing with the city's help of issuing municipal bonds (the city/county wanted to retain the jobs) before we purchased the land. Our out-of-pocket expenses ($300K) was the land purchase option, the interior build out, attorney and misc fees.

First Jstolaruk, I'm not saying your completely wrong, but there are other philosophies on this, and I do believe that the current market conditions are a good example of why
I would agree with Peter on his strategy, as it is the same strategy that I operate on.

Debt chains a business, especially a small one, in one direction. I witnessed debt take a very strong business out because the industry took a temporary turn for the worse after 9/11. They were profitable up until then and the industry came back, but the interest payments exhausted their operating capital before it did. That's a lot of what is happening to businesses now.

I know, I only have 1 full time employee (me) and 10 or so people who have specialties I need at various times that I contract as needed, but a friend of mine who has helped me in much of the decision making owns a 75 employee operation that operates on the same principle.

Debt is one of those overhead items that is very hard to shrink during tough times and it cuts into your most powerful asset when growing a business, your revenue. All businesses must eventually take on some debt at times to continue to grow, but only take it on as needed. If Peter's sales were take a big dip right now, he could stop the expansion temporarily to ride it through where as if he a secured funds for the full amount, he would have to continue on ,even if he knew the industry would not rebound for another year, because he had committed to making those interest payments

Better plan:

Take the 700B+ and split it evenly between all adults over 18 that are non-fellon citizens of the US. Take out the required taxes and give it back to Uncle Sam, that reduces the effective load buy at least 30%.

Then if so desired the good people of this country could bail out AIG and others. Otherwise, they could cover health insurance, bad loans etc.

Just a quick note, I never say I'm for or against the bailout. I do agree that the banking system must be shored up to get cash flowing again, no matter who's fault it is. But I worry about the red tape that will be attached and honestly do not know what the best solution is to ease the short term pain. In the long term, I believe the markets have already began to adjust.

The thing that really annoys me about the whole situation whether in the US or UK, is that the banks have been making money out of us all by offering credit and collecting the interest, yet when it all goes wrong they expect to be saved.

So not only do you pay interest for the credit, you then pay through taxes to support the company that gave you the credit due to their bad judgement on investments.

Screwed both ways!

Jon.

TWControls said:
I think you have just given a better solution to the problem than caps of CEO salaries and holding the board more accountable. We have had laws in effect for hundreds of years against actual criminal acts, so beyond that, you just have poor decision making. While it can be very costly and destroy lives, it's not against the law. But someone's got to be to blame right? "Let's fire the CEO". But that doesn't fix the problem. The Chairmen of the Board are the next in line, it must be their fault. But wait, who hired them? YOU DID! Anyone who is a stock holder gets their proxy vote in the mail.
Who really looks at proxies? Small business people are busy running their own business. My suggestion is just a way of weeding out the poor managers keeping them from taking advantage of the stock holders.

"Oh, but my money is in mutual funds, I don't actually own stock". You got a proxy vote for who runs the mutual fund. The whole thing is we can keep looking for someone to blame, but in the end, it is us, the stock holders, who have been irresponsible. I selected the CEO, I chose those big bonuses, I caused the banking industry to collapse.
A person that owns mutual funds has no control but the fund managers do and it is in the fund managers interest that the managers of the companies they are investing in have a stake in the success of the companies. I believe that a few of the major mutual funds can provide enough pressure.

People that run small companies have a large portion of their wealth tied up in their companies. It keeps us responsible. Why should it be different for top officers of public corporations?

Peter Nachtwey said:
Who really looks at proxies? Small business people are busy running their own business.
Ok, I really hate to get into politics, but from a business stand point, isn't that the same as saying it is important to vote for the president, but I don't have time to bother with my local representative? Who is more likely to help you? Am I being a hypocrite by saying this? Absolutely, I got my proxy, glanced at it, then threw it in the trash. But I had the choice to make a difference and chose not to.

My suggestion is just a way of weeding out the poor managers keeping them from taking advantage of the stock holders.
They can be fired. Their salaries can be cut and their pay can be based greater off of profits. This is a decision that the share holders can make

I agree that there needs to be a way to weed out poor managers, but were the stock holders taken advantage of or were they naive into thinking that the markets could never go down?
A person that owns mutual funds has no control but the fund managers do and it is in the fund managers interest that the managers of the companies they are investing in have a stake in the success of the companies. I believe that a few of the major mutual funds can provide enough pressure.

People that run small companies have a large portion of their wealth tied up in their companies. It keeps us responsible. Why should it be different for top officers of public corporations?
You are right Peter, and small businesses usually enjoy a higher profit margin than corporations for this reason. You are careful to tend to every little detail and see that waste is minimal. It is an interesting idea but how could you tie top corporate officials down financially to their company in a free enterprise system?

I've been researching the financial and energy markets for the past five years as sort of a hobby. I believe that the market for big money control systems is going to be fairly slow outside of the energy and mining industry.

I've been learning more about embedded controllers/microcontrollers. It's quite technical. Really cool though. The thing is, they are really cheap and may sell well in a tough economy.

Cheap is the way of the future.

TWControls said:
Ok, I really hate to get into politics, but from a business stand point, isn't that the same as saying it is important to vote for the president, but I don't have time to bother with my local representative? Who is more likely to help you?
Neither, we are too small for a bail out and right now we are doing much better than the gov.

Am I being a hypocrite by saying this? Absolutely, I got my proxy, glanced at it, then threw it in the trash. But I had the choice to make a difference and chose not to.
Be realistic. There is no way you have the time or means to investigate each of the senior managers and the board. There is no way you are going to get inside their decision loop. Last year I asked Fidelity if they vote the proxies for the stocks they control. I didn't get a response but I should insist.

They can be fired. Their salaries can be cut and their pay can be based greater off of profits. This is a decision that the share holders can make
So what! What would hurt is if a significant part of their wealth was on the line. That is negative feedback.

I agree that there needs to be a way to weed out poor managers, but were the stock holders taken advantage of or were they naive into thinking that the markets could never go down?
Poor managers would weed out themselves. They wouldn't put their money where their mouth is the way you do when you and many others here do when they take on a new project.

You are right Peter, and small businesses usually enjoy a higher profit margin than corporations for this reason. You are careful to tend to every little detail and see that waste is minimal. It is an interesting idea but how could you tie top corporate officials down financially to their company in a free enterprise system?
It must be part of the culture. If everyone does it and it is accepted practice then we will succeed.

Negative feed back works in more than just control systems.

Slight diversion here, but really - what have people got against regulation?

Okay, so you have to comply with them. They add red tape, and cost money. Yup, no doubt about it.

So when I go to the airport, I also have to comply with regulations. I put my shoes through the xray machine, pass through the metal detector, and accept that I can't light a smoke till I get to my destination.

Regulation in the airlines is about keeping our planes from going "boom", owing to a handful of loonies who don't care whom they hurt.

Regulation in finance is about keeping our economy from going "boom", owing to a handful of loonies who don't care whom they hurt.

More regs are coming, and it's about blasted time. Suck it up, get used to it, and try to remember this fiasco in twenty years when the next John McCain starts declaring how wonderfully the financial airplanes would fly if we just removed security checks.

TM