Connecting SLC 5/03 to EZPanel Enhanced

tearhole

Hello out there.
I am purchasing a touchscreen and will be going with an EZAutomation 8-inch Ez-Panel Enhanced version. I would like to connect this to an A-B SLC 5/03. I have used these with a Koyo DL06 via serial connection before but I have never configured this particular combination. I know that the 5/03 has DH-485 but the EZAutomation catalog lists AB Ethernet I/P as an option. Is this the same thing? Has anyone used this combination before and in what manner did you connect these?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Chris

DF1 is supported but I have never used it. I am relatively new to A-B PLC's but I'm sure I can figure out how to configure it. Do you know anything about DF1?

Yeah, DF1 / RS-232 , if I remember right. Have you or anyone else had any good or bad experiences with the 5/03 & EZPanel combo?

Also, if I use the serial port, will I have to unplug the touchscreen to connect my laptop the CPU? I would normally use that port for programming/monitoring status.

Thanks,
Chris

I have not used the EZPanel SLC combo.

Also, if I use the serial port, will I have to unplug the touchscreen to connect my laptop the CPU? I would normally use that port for programming/monitoring status.

Yes, you would. So use the DH485 port on your SLC and configure the EZPanel for DH485. See link above, it says it supports DH485.
Or AB makes a serial port splitter.

Last edited:
tearhole said:
Yeah, DF1 / RS-232 , if I remember right. Have you or anyone else had any good or bad experiences with the 5/03 & EZPanel combo?

Thanks,
Chris
This is what I have done in the past. There is a cable available to connect from the 15 pin port on the EZ screen to the 9 pin port on the SLC. Then, if you have a laptop with a real serial port, you can use a PIC module to connect to the 485 port of the SLC. Therefore, you would not have to disconnect the EZ screen while programming the SLC. If your laptop has a second real serial port you can also connect to the programming port of the EZ, allowing you to program both units without disconnecting any cables.
Mickey's posts are also a good solution.

jrwb4gbm said:
If your laptop has a second real serial port you can also connect to the programming port of the EZ, allowing you to program both units without disconnecting any cables.

Its getting near impossible to get laptops with 1 serial port, how would you ever find a laptop with 2

I have used the EZ-Screens before with most all SLC and MLX. They all worked well. I like using the 485 just in case you need to display info from another device (no logic to map over DF1). If you have done a DL06 then the AB world is just as easy. As you know instead of V-memory you have B,C,T,N,ect. No big deal you have gotten over the HMI learning curve so punching in N7:1 instead on V2345 is not a show stopper.

If you do use the DF1 port I would buy a 1747-UIC (I think the # is correct) it is a USB to DH 485 adapter. This will allow you to get online with the 5/03 and not unhook the HMI. Don't even waste your time looking on E-Bay for a PIC and trying to use a USB to serial adapter the can be bought for $20.

Excellent feedback guys, thanks.

I am going to do a little research and "learning" on DH485. I have a deadline on this particular project and not a lot of time for the learning curve so if I end up wasting too much time on DH485 I'm going to go with DF1.

I may run into a few snags, is everyone okay with me asking a few questions along the way?

I appreciate the advice. Thank you

Ask away. I will try offer what little bit of wisdom I can. There are hundreds of Gurus here that always help out. As long as you try we will try.