Shop communication

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was wondering if anyone knows of any good software for "Shop Communication" Freeware would be nice. I'm looking for something like a forum or maybe myspace/facebook style software for manufacturing. Something that will keep communictaion with everyone and track issues we have had. And able to set up different groups like (maintenance/programmin/engineering/qualtiy)

Any ideas?

Web or Office based does not matter. As long as we can get to if from any of our computers in the shop. We have tried the Excel style files but no one would keep them up to date.

JOLTRON said:
Web or Office based does not matter. As long as we can get to if from any of our computers in the shop. We have tried the Excel style files but no one would keep them up to date.
If they didn't keep Excel type files up to date why would they keep some other type up to date? Even facebook depends on people actually updating it.

Dunno,

Just got high hopes. I was thinking if I had something that looked a little more professional and made it readily available may they would start.

Seriously, if you can set up a simple webserver somewhere (even only on your local subnet), take a look at some of the free wiki software projects out there.

Something like this for example, in the free version.

Wiki's are actually easy to set up, and use, and inherently allow pretty easy collaboration and notes to be added (like, perhaps, a mini maintenance log or troubleshooting) as well as making for easy linkage to documents like drawings, pdf's, etc.