Total control quick panel jr anyone know about these

joeparrish

Ok we just got in like 13 machines that have total control quick panel jr's on them. I am trying to find out anything I can about them aslo where is the softwear for these I think that they are made by ge fanuc.

TCP was taken over by GE Fanuc a few years back

Software is Quick Designer 3.7 or GE Machine Edition. Dont forget the programming cable too.

Speak to your GE Rep

Cheers

Joe call your local Pro-Face rep (Steve Yeager I think) he may be able to help you. Xycom / Pro-Face had those screen I found them to be a better help than GE. Be on the lookout for NO user source code. Those screens had an option of loading the project in them so just about nobody could get it out of them. Been there and done that.

If you get in a bad spot and need dome help with those screens PM me I have all the cables and may have sometime to help.

Joe call your local Pro-Face rep (Steve or Mike Yeager I think) he may be able to help you. Xycom / Pro-Face had those screen I found them to be a better help than GE. Be on the lookout for NO user source code. Those screens had an option of loading the project in them so just about nobody could get it out of them. Been there and done that.

If you get in a bad spot and need dome help with those screens PM me I have all the cables and may have sometime to help.

Quick designer 3.WAS on proface's website in a 3 day trial.

Yes - be aware that the cable, even though it doesn't look like it, has a TTL <-> RS232 convertor. The HMI programming port is TTL. Label the cable for this use only.

Bernie
Do you have a pinout for this cable. I have the USB and DB9 styles but I never got a pinout for it

Last edited:
The Quick Designer manual shows a block diagram.

On the 8-pin DIN side, pin 1 is labeled TxD, pin 4 is RxD. Both of these show wires going to the block labeled "TTL to RS232 Converter". Also on the 8-pin DIN side pin 6 is labeled CTS, pin 7 is labeled DSR. These two are jumpered together and show a wire going to the converter. Pin 2 is labeled GND but the diagram does not show any wire connected to it. Pin 5 is shown on the diagram with neither a label nor a wire.

The converter gets its power fromthe 8-pin DIN side, although the diagram is a bit imprecise on that score. It shows pin 8 as +5v, but it shows a jumper from pin 8 to an unnumbered pin and does not show any wires to the converter.

On the 9-pin Dsub side it shows wires from pin 2 (RxD), pin 3 (TxD), pin 7 (RTS), and pin 1 (DCD) to the converter. Also pins 6 (DSR) and 8 (CTS) are jumpered together and connect to the converter.

The part number for the cable is HMI-CAB-C49

There is also the following note:

Proprietary Information
This information is provided as a convemience to our customers. You are not authorized to construct this cable. Unauthorized cables are not supported by Total Control.

I would strongly recommend buying a cable rather than making one. I appreciate they are not dirt cheap but it is better than damaging your laptop or TCP screen with a poorly made / wrongly made cable.

In the long run it will pay for itself the first time you use it to replace a broken screen to get production running again.

Cheers

cjd1965 said:
I would strongly recommend buying a cable rather than making one. I appreciate they are not dirt cheap but it is better than damaging your laptop or TCP screen with a poorly made / wrongly made cable.

In the long run it will pay for itself the first time you use it to replace a broken screen to get production running again.

Cheers
I agree you are better to buy one, but if you must I have made my own in the past and could dig up the instructions in a pinch.
NOW, IF you have the RIGHT GE Fanuc distributor they can be equally helpful as the Proface people. Everyone I know who knows both software packages will admit that the GE Fanuc Proficy ME for QuickPanel is just as good if not better.

Steve Bailey said:
The part number for the cable is HMI-CAB-C49
Do you know if it is the same as a Pro-face GPW-CB02? This is the cable that I have used several years ago to program with.
My memory has let me down again. I have a USB to USB cable (PF CA3-USBCB-01) not a USB to 8-pin. The boxes and bundles of cables have started to take over again. I guess it is time to divide and conquer again.