RSLogix 500 / RSLinx to ML 1100 via the internet

Bazza Formez

Hi!

I have been tasked with getting RSLogix 500 to talk to our a remote a Micrologix 1100 PLC via the internet.
Incidentally, no probs with doing similar thing when everything is on local ethernet, just can't make things
work over the net.

To summarise the picture so far :

1) I have opened up router firewall to ports 2222 & 44818
2) Same ports have been forwarded in router to PLC internal fixed IP address, in my case to 192.168.1.100
3) I have tried starting a session with RSLinx, using Ethenet device, and using WAN IP address, and have
used the EIP technique, ie. configured IP is 118.xx.xxx.xx:EIP
4) I am using v 2.52.0017 (CPR 9) of RSLinx Classic Lite
5) When I attempt to connect via RSLogix 500, I get a node showing the IP above, with a yellow '?' icon with
a red cross through it, and the words 'unrecognized device'

Is this ever going to work ? Am I using wrong version of RSLinx here, do I need to upgrade or something ?
Is there anything I am missing in terms of router configs ?
I see some people mention a VPN .. is that what I need to do ?

Many thanks in advance for any help with this at all.. I'm at my wits end!

Bazza

Bazza,

I use Logmein. Go to www.Logmein.com and check it out. I tried the vpn and using builtin windows programs, but because of issues with RSLogix 500 security, wouldn't work.

George

Thanks for your response George...
I should have said though that we can't install or control a pc at the remote end.. as it's on a client site (ie. where they are running one of our machines with PLC inside). We have to go direct into PLC at that end via internet / via client's ethernet LAN. I was hoping that client action would be limited to port forwarding etc on their router... I really hope this is possible.
Thanks,
Bazza

Any luck with this problem yet?? I have ran into the unrecognized device situation before, but it was when I was trying to connect using DF1 and the PLC was wanting IP.

I haven't done this in while but I think that you have to make sure the Default Gateway in the ML1100 is correctly set. Just a thought...

Hi,

I've had the same experience as before. I was using RSLinx 2.50. I had the problem with "unrecognized device" on the local ethernet. I downloaded RSLinx 2.54 and it was sorted.

I forwarded port 44818 (TCP/UDP) only. But I used the "ethernet devices" driver. Not the Ethernet/IP Driver. I just entered the IP address of the router on the "host name" field. It worked.

Unrecognized Device

Any time you see this error you need an eds file bc linx dosent recognize what hardware your hooked up to. Upgrading usually helps bc when you install the new software it also comes with the latest eds files. Go to the rockwell website and download these files and you should be good to go! :p Or at least be able to move on to the next step.

Any time you see this error you need an eds file bc linx dosent recognize what hardware your hooked up to. Upgrading usually helps bc when you install the new software it also comes with the latest eds files. Go to the rockwell website and download these files and you should be good to go! :p Or at least be able to move on to the next step.

The odd thing with my experience was: I had already connected in the past with this device using the same PC and the same software....and I eventually got back into it...but clueless as to what caused such an experience.