Ideas on simulator/tester...

Rembrant

Hi Guys,

OK, I've been given the go-ahead to build a simulator/tester at work, and was wondering if you guys had any ideas on what to use as my field devices? I already have a TSX Premium PLC set up, with all the telefast blocks connected, but now I have to come up with a system to operate.
I was thinking a couple solonoid valves, to run a couple small air cylinders, which may, or may not hit limit switches, and of course, a stop and a start button.
Anyhow, I don't have an endless amount of parts, but I can get just about anything basic, and I wanna build something nice and useful and effective for learning. Oh, and I'll need to program lots of timers in my program, so anything that might go with that.
Thanks guys, I'd like to do something a little nicer then just a row of I/O lights and buttons. Any ideas are appreciated.

Rembrant :)

Last edited:
During our latest "famine period", we had a few junior guys with time on their hands and very little programming experience. We managed to find a small conveyor and 4 cylinders floating in the storage area.

Along with a few sensors, I got them to throw together a simple check/ pick and place system. A carriage was put on the conveyor with or without a metal "part" (chunk of scrap...). This carriage was stopped, and then a cylinder extended with a sensor on it to detect if the metal "part" was there or not. If the carriage was empty, it continued through the 2nd station without stopping. If there was a "part" there, it was stopped, and the part was removed by the most simple 2 cylinder pick and place there was. I got 3 guys to try their hand at programming, and got back 3 programs that were completely different. They all worked in the end though! This is something that most anybody here could do in a few hours (or less), but was the perfect learning tool for our guys.

Hope that helps...

Some of the nice things to add are:

A visual Sinking and Sourcing circuit. You have LEDs at the junction points of those 2 circuit and operate them. Your guys will SEE what Sink/Source means. One of the exercises you give them is to switch the device and have them work the oposite way.

Then you could have a FAN (small 120 Vac desk fan) and you position 2 prox. or 2 reflective photoeye in front of the blades. These make EXCELENT encoder learning tools. They will play with phases, quadrature, HSC, etc.

Then you install a fridge with a door handle and plenty of beer inside.

My 2 cents.