Touch Pad Security

RSVIEWRULZ

I have been tasked to come up with a way to prevent unwanted machine usage in a maintenance facility

They requested that a small touch pad be used with a changeable security code. The operator knowing the code will have to input the code to be able to start the machine. also requested was a configurable auto log out function. I am not going to let this be a determining factor...

All the unit needs is be able to operate a relay or two.
If anyone has seen a small device like this or can point me in some directions, I would appriciate it.

thanks
:D

It might be a bit much for the application, but the Mitsi E series HMI's have different security levels (with different codes) for operators/maintenance/supervisors. They have a function that will auto log out after a certain time.

Combine that with the smallest PLC you can find, and hey presto! you have a solution. Good or not is your decision...

Security Pad

You could take a look at the Horner line of OUI's. They have a keypad, screen and small PLC built in.

Take a look at Unitronics . I have been working with their V280 HMI/PLC unit and am very impressed with its capability. I know they have some small units that should suit your description.

I have programmed in password protection for getting to certain screens on this unit with no problem. It seems to me that upon entering the password protected screen, you could start a timer that would monitor whether any buttons were pressed or if the machine is running. If there is no action and the machine is idle the timer would time out and auto-log out. Each time a button is pressed, the timer would reset. These units are pretty inexpensive, too.

My .02

Steve