Scan rate: 1 second?

m.nazish

Why do we normally use 1 second as the scan rate to scan dataitems of cards in PLCs? Does it have any relation with the devices performance issues? PLZ help!

Why do you? Scan rates here are about 10-120ms depending on the programs. What PLC are you talking about?

More detailed info is needed to help you out.

Kind regards,

Perhaps he is talking about the rate at which they are bringing values back from the analogue card channels into the ladder etc. rather than PLC Scan times ?

If we keep the scan rate as 60 sec, Would there be any devices performance issues? I want to know why scan rate is normally so slow. It just depends on the program??????

m.nazish:

You really need to explain better your system, and what you are talking about.

A PLC5, an SLC500, a MicroLogix, a Logix, or any other PLC I can think of would never have a CYCLICAL Program scan that long... Now, if you are talking about a timed task, or a periodic interrupt task, perhaps.

If you are talking communications to an HMI, maybe.

If you are actually talking the CYCLICAL (LAD-2) program scan, that's a problem.

m.nazish said:
If we keep the scan rate as 60 sec, Would there be any devices performance issues? I want to know why scan rate is normally so slow. It just depends on the program??????

Please post a screenshot showing exactly what you're referring to.

Tell us more about your process - which PLC, how many I/O, how many analog, etc... Without knowing what you're doing, we can not make any evaluation about "performance issues".

But like several of us have said, there's absolutely no reason for a 60 sec scan rate...