RS licenses on hard disk crash

indubasu

Recently one of our HMI computers crashed. That computer had RS Linx Gateway and RS Logix 500 licenses in it. Now when I install these software in a replacement machine, how do I get the licenses back? I have hard copies of the licenses (serial numbers listed on a piece of paper). Can I just key in these numbers in the new computer or is there something more complicated?

You need to call Rockwell's tech support and get your Master Disk reset (or Factory Talk, which ever you are using).

but for that do I need to have an active Tech Connect contract with them or would they just help since its a licensing issue. I would just be asking them to restore the license on a new computer

Without a Tech Connect contract there is a tight limit to how many times you can reset a license within a set time period (dunno exactly how many times). But you will be ok with just this once.

I've never had a Factory Talk activation reset, so I don't know the details on that.

But to reset a license with a Master Disk, you need the physical Disk, and a computer with a floppy drive. And have them ready when you call tech support.