salaries for programmers

Goody

I know this question has been asked a thousand times - but its not really a question.
I just know people from all over the world want to know what others get paid for doing this automation stuff.

I wrote a cv to an online recruitment agency a while back - just to see what was being offered. I am not going to take any of these offers up but I was surprised at how many vacancies there are for electrical people that can program plc's

I get about 3 to 6 emails a day with about the same offers as below - jobs I know I could walk.

There seems to be (at least here in the UK) a vast shortage of competent people in this field.

So for your perusal I have copied and pasted one that came today (this is about typical of what comes every day)

Code:
[b]Controls Engineer[/b]

Our client is one of the world's largest manufacturers of float glass and fabricated glass products. 

With over sixty manufacturing sites located throughout the world the group turnover is in excess of $5 Billion.

THE JOB 

CONTROLS ENGINEER

Due to continued success and expansion my client is now looking to recruit an additional Controls Engineer.

Based at the clients East Riding Facility the main purpose of the role is to To work within a team of engineers providing full controls engineering support to the plant within a truly continuous 24/7 process driven production environment.

CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS

Essential - Practical experience and knowledge of:-
*PLC programming (Siemens S7 series, Rockwell Control Logix)
*Variable Speed Drives (Siemens Simovert Smartdrive, Rockwell, Lenze, Danfoss)
*Fieldbus (Profibus) and networks (Ethernet, TCP or UDP/IP)
*Instrumentation (transmitters, analyzers, actuators, sensors)
*SCADA systems (knowledge of Intellution iFix)
Essential - IT Literate.

REMUNERATION

Basic salary up to £38k(depending on skills and experience), 8am - 4.30pm Mon - Fri, 25 days holiday plus career progression is also on offer 

[b]Vacancy Summary[/b]

Job TypePermanent LocationBeverley, Kingston Upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire Start DateASAP DurationN/A Salary£38k pa Ref No:127641-DBW00956_482050 Date Advertised08 Oct 2008

Goody said:
I know this question has been asked a thousand times - but its not really a question.
I just know people from all over the world want to know what others get paid for doing this automation stuff.

I wrote a cv to an online recruitment agency a while back - just to see what was being offered. I am not going to take any of these offers up but I was surprised at how many vacancies there are for electrical people that can program plc's

I get about 3 to 6 emails a day with about the same offers as below - jobs I know I could walk.

There seems to be (at least here in the UK) a vast shortage of competent people in this field.

So for your perusal I have copied and pasted one that came today (this is about typical of what comes every day)

I have seen these sort of adverts around before from agencies, i am convinced that 90% of them do not exist and are merely published to pull folk into the agency.

I assure you they are all genuine - they telephone me, and we chat about various jobs - but most times I ignore the calls :)

In fact I might post a few more so you can see the picture

only two weeks ago I wangled the company name advertising the job out of them because it was only a few miles from my home.

It was all genuine

When I graduated many places were offering 50-80k USD salaries for a 3-5 year experienced Controls Engineer. Zero experience starting salaries were much lower.

But that was when the economy was decent.

Do Salarys differ significantly for similar positions on East vs West Coast (USA)?

ie. Project engineer w/ 2-3yrs experience making $65K USD in New England would be any higher $ in, say, California?

In this part of the country (Goldsboro, NC), I know we continue to struggle to find anyone with any practical experience that we can trust to go out on the road and do a decent days work, and we're paying pretty well for the area (in excess of $80k).

kdcui said:
Do Salarys differ significantly for similar positions on East vs West Coast (USA)?

ie. Project engineer w/ 2-3yrs experience making $65K USD in New England would be any higher $ in, say, California?

I was offered and given a more money to come to the east coast (SC) from California, the cost of housing is more in CA and the produce is better but that's about it :)

Its hard to put a price on a job... but just about any place in the US 70-100 is about the norm, for someone that knows their job or can BS their way into it

Interesting.

Anyone know what's the typical entry level for a controls engineer w/ a B.S. in Eng, 0-1 yrs experience?

kdcui said:
Interesting.

Anyone know what's the typical entry level for a controls engineer w/ a B.S. in Eng, 0-1 yrs experience?

Most of my friends who graduated with me were offered around 40-45k, high end of 50k. Some had paid weekend overtime, others no paid over time.