Job leads. Where do you guys get them?

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've accepted the buyout here at work (I work for one of the "Big Three" automakers), and will eventually need to find something else.

Call it a mid-life crisis, but I want to go back to doing startups, it's what I like, and it's what I do best. I also miss the travel as well.

I've worked here for 13 years, 15 if you count my time here as a contractor, and I haven't had to update a resume for nearly 20 years.

Up until now, all of my jobs have come from "word of mouth", so I'm pretty much at a loss as where to begin the process of a job search.

So where do you guys go for job leads?

Have you tried or thought about a website??

I also started out on my own just a little over a year, I don't get a lot of work (but I still have a full time job and my automation supply)

I have received all of my automation work from my current vendors, so look at who is supplying you your PLC's, sensors and other automation equipment, then ask them to spread the word and if they need any install help of their products give me a call... it works, they are happy to make another sell also they have an installer (me) that knows their products

Are you looking to go on someone's payroll or are you going to become an independent contractor? Good road men can be hard to find and harder to hang on to. If this staement describs you, "They can take the boy off the road, but they can't take the road out of the boy", then you shouldn't have too much trouble catching on with somebody.

I have a feeling that for the next few years more gigs are going to come from company's maintenance budgets than from their capital budgets. For a startup person that means your best opportunities will lie with service contractors rather than with OEMs. Rebuilders will probably be getting more work than new machinery builders.

Start with the people you already know, like the companies that built and installed the equipment in your facility. If your facility is selling any equipment, try to find out who the buyers are and see if they need any help removing and reinstalling whatever they're buying.

Wind power is one area that appears to be headed for significant growth in the nest few years. Every new installation will need a startup person or two.

Do a monster search for field service. Also hot jobs.

There is good work all over but you have to travel.

TWControls said:
When you say you miss the travel, how much traveling are you talking about? All over the US, China, Singapore?

If you or anyone else is interested, send me an email
[email protected]

Pretty much anywhere. I'm single, the kids are grown up, and I have roommates to make sure that the critters are kept fed. So why not?

Rootboy

That is exactly how I feel, I'm 64 and able to go places. I want to work (do an install or fix) then go home and sail my boat or ski until the next project comes along.
Mortage is paid, kids are educated, my turn.

Steve Bailey said:
Are you looking to go on someone's payroll or are you going to become an independent contractor? Good road men can be hard to find and harder to hang on to. If this staement describs you, "They can take the boy off the road, but they can't take the road out of the boy", then you shouldn't have too much trouble catching on with somebody.

Well, I've lived in 3 different countries, 9 different states, and have moved 33 times. I actually keep a bag packed. These days it's just for quick vacation trips and not job assignments.

For years I have had to pay taxes in two different states because of all of the moving around.

I only got to work outside of the U.S.A. once (in Canada, it was great!), mostly because my 3 month assignments in a plant kept getting extended into years.

As for independent vs. employee, I was hoping to get by with only 10 months of work a year. I'd hate to see my job interfere with my fishing. :)

gas said:
Rootboy

That is exactly how I feel, I'm 64 and able to go places. I want to work (do an install or fix) then go home and sail my boat or ski until the next project comes along.
Mortage is paid, kids are educated, my turn.

I still have the mortage, but everything else is paid for. It really does take the pressure off. :)

geniusintraining said:
OK, now you are talking.. but for only two months??

Before I started up my business I would fish 3-4 times a week, 12 months out of the year

"Before I started up my business..."

I think that I see your problem with not having enough time to go fishing. :)

I used to have my own business too, and the important lesson that I learned from that was that I'm no businessman. :)

geniusintraining said:

Nice!