AB Micrologix Comms Question

Kabir

I have been working with Rockwell for a few years, done many projects from design with PLC2, PLC5, SLC, Panel View, RSVIEW etc.

I have not really worked with Microloix but I’m thinking about using two of them in an upcoming project.

The Machine has two sections, one moving carriage and a stationary section each with its own control panel. The carriage requires a single incremental encoder and the reset of the machine is ON/OFF type operations.

So what I’m thinking about doing is using two micrologix one for the carriage that would be connected to the encoder as well as a few motors and sensors. Then a second on the stationary section that would take up all the operator control switches and indicator lights, in addition to hydraulic pumps and valves. The stationary section I also plan on using a PV550 touch panel interface for parameter entry.

Communications

I have never connected PLC's together using the DF1 protocol although I’ve used it to connect panel views to PLC’s and PC's to PLC’s.

The stationary Micrologix would be outfitted with two ports one connected to the panel view and the other connected to the Carriage Micologix all using the DF1 protocol. Speed should not be a problem because there would no high demand data between the controllers. The micrologix on the carriage would be doing an advance to length function using the encoder; however all of the motors for that would be connected to that very controller.

Two questions, would I encounter and communication issues, in addition would anyone like to make any suggestions?

I would use ML1100 or ML 1400.
Also connect the PLCs by Ethernet.(Very Easy)
I don't sure if you can connect 2 PLCs by DF1.
You can do so by DH485.

my 2 cent

ArikBY said:
I would use ML1100 or ML 1400.
Also connect the PLCs by Ethernet.(Very Easy)
I don't sure if you can connect 2 PLCs by DF1.
You can do so by DH485.

my 2 cent
I thought the 1400 was not out yet?

Your general design sounds like a workable one.

There are several combinations of controllers that can work in this application. You could use MicroLogix 1100 in both locations and employ Ethernet between them and the PanelView, or you could do an all-DF1 system with MicroLogix 1500 (1764-LRP) on the stationary machine and MicroLogix 1000/1100/1200/1500 on the carriage.

Are you planning on using a wireless link to the carriage, or is there sufficient festoon or cable tray capacity to carry Ethernet or RS232 ?

A side note: the MicroLogix 1400 shipment date has been pushed back; I don't know exactly why or when it will ship.

Sounding good thus far

Ok with SLC I would use a SLC5/05 for Ethernet, ive read about an adaptor that interfaces the micrologix to Ethernet.

Now Remember the data between the two PLC's would be small this is why I was leaning towards DF1 (if it is possible). Im interested to know why would I want to go Ethernet if there is no need for that level of bandwidth.

As for cable vs wireless, a single shield cable through the cable tray should do this trick.

With SLC I would use a HSCE2 module for the encoder, which even allows me to get X4 quad count could this be done with the micrologix, if so which ones?

Why go with Ethernet, My answer to that would be to future proof your application for what you may do next month or next year.

If you went with a MicroLogix 1100 you have ethernet and you still have the DF1 option as well.

Can the ML1100 provide the X4 quad encoder counter because if it cannot then I would need to purchase an encoder with a higher PPR.

As for your ethernet idea about next month, I think your 100% correct because im always doing something with something.. Good Idea man thanks.

Last edited:
The carriage motion is very slow max frequency should not be an issue those controllers normally handle 20Khz and higher.

But if I am not able to do X4 then I would have to replace the existing encoder... Oh well price just went up a notch... Thanks for all the info and support....