connecting to ab 1785-enet B

tacman

I have been trying to connect to a plc 5 that has a 1785-enet B sidecard. I am using win xp home and rslinx classic with rslogix5.
I am connected via nic card to a hub then to a transceiver into the 1785-enet. When I use the autoscan on the linx classic the stat light on the enet card flickers as well as the snd/rvc light on the hub but that is all. I have read in the forums something about if it is a series b then it does not transmit using tcp/ip. if this is true how do i go about connecting it to the hub.

Thanks a whole bunch in advance!!!

tacman said:
I have been trying to connect to a plc 5 that has a 1785-enet B sidecard. I am using win xp home and rslinx classic with rslogix5.
I am connected via nic card to a hub then to a transceiver into the 1785-enet. When I use the autoscan on the linx classic the stat light on the enet card flickers as well as the snd/rvc light on the hub but that is all. I have read in the forums something about if it is a series b then it does not transmit using tcp/ip. if this is true how do i go about connecting it to the hub.

Thanks a whole bunch in advance!!!
I didnt think that RSLogix would work with Xp Home edition

i am using rslogix 5.20.10

Well the older 5.20.10 rslogix5 that has the floppy master disk works with it. The newer rslogix5 we have does not. this is due to the program that goes online to get the software key. I can't remember the name but it requires xp pro.

tacman,

Have you set up the IP address in the channel config in RSLogix ?

Last time I used one of these, I ended up having to upgrade the firmware in both the PLC5 and the ENET. Then I connected to the PLC5 using DH+ to set up the IP address, after that everything worked OK.

Tim.

When you refer to "autoscan" in RSLinx Classic you are probably referring to the "EtherNet/IP" driver, which sends out a broadcast with the CIP command "list identity". Every EtherNet/IP device on the subnet that understands that command then replies and RSLinx/RSWho shows their icon.

PLC-5E and 1785-ENET modules originally supported the proprietary Allen-Bradley "Client-Server Protocol" (CSP) Ethernet protocol, which runs on TCP port 2222. This is the protocol that is used by default in the "Ethernet Devices" driver. The "EtherNet/IP" driver will not communicate to products that have only the original A-B Ethernet protocol (including 1785-ENET Series A).

I know that the 1785-ENET Series B supports both A-B CSP Ethernet and EtherNet/IP protocols. But I don't know for sure if it will respond to the EtherNet/IP browse from RSLinx Classic. The 1756-ENET and older SLC-5/05 that have EtherNet/IP didn't.

The easy thing is to use the "Ethernet Devices" driver and enter the IP address of your 1785-ENET into the list. You might need to obtain that address by connecting to the controller using another method (DF1 serial, DH+) or by using a protocol sniffer or port scanner to find the PLC-5 on the Ethernet network.

Autoscan is actually called autobrowse in rslinx and yes it polls pc's or plcs as you described it finds all my processors fine using the ktx card but not via the nic card. i really would like to use the hub so i can connect more than one pc to the plc. the processor is a ab 5/40 series e rev k.2. I configured the channel 3a with the 1785-enet card as follows:ip address 192.168.1.2:bootp enable no. broadcast address set to default and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 with no gateway address. In the rslink classic i configured the driver AB_ETHIP-1 to browse the local subnet. The computer network settings are: ip 192.168.1.111 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
thanks...

tacman said:
Autoscan is actually called autobrowse in rslinx and yes it polls pc's or plcs as you described it finds all my processors fine using the ktx card but not via the nic card. i really would like to use the hub so i can connect more than one pc to the plc. the processor is a ab 5/40 series e rev k.2. I configured the channel 3a with the 1785-enet card as follows:ip address 192.168.1.2:bootp enable no. broadcast address set to default and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 with no gateway address. In the rslink classic i configured the driver AB_ETHIP-1 to browse the local subnet. The computer network settings are: ip 192.168.1.111 subnet mask 255.255.255.0
thanks...
Boot TP may be your problem.
If you have assigned an IP to it, disable Boot TP.

I will reiterate my post.

The EtherNet/IP driver in RSLinx Classic uses a broadcast service that may not be supported by the 1785-ENET/B.

The Ethernet Devices driver in RSLinx Classic will default to the older A-B CSP Ethernet protocol, which is definitely supported by the 1785-ENET module.

Try using the "PING" command to prove that your PC can communicate with the PLC. Try also opening the embedded web page in the 1785-ENET with your web browser.

Then configure a RSLinx Ethernet Devices driver, enter the IP address of your 1785-ENET, and browse the network.

getting better...

Thanks Ken for your help!! yes, i can use IE to read the 1785-enet's web page (that is cool!). i have set up AB_ETHIP-1, Ethernet to use local subnet and i also tryed setting up AB_ETHIP-2, Ethernet to browse remote subnet but no luck. The version is rslinx classic lite 2.50.00.20(cpr 7) could this be the problem?
Bokttaras, yes, in my previous post "boot p enable=no" thanks!

Forget about the "EtherNet/IP" driver for a little bit.

Instead, use the driver listed above it in the RSLinx driver configuration list, called the "Ethernet Devices" driver, which will name itself "AB_ETH-1".

This driver doesn't broadcast to discover EtherNet/IP devices like the other one does. Instead, you put the IP addresses that you want to communicate with in a table that RSLinx presents to you during driver configuration.

The "Ethernet Devices" driver is certain to work with the 1785-ENET/B no matter what firmware is in the module, and it will work with RSLinx versions that are ten years old.

closer yet

Ok did that like you said and presto i saw the processor and connected with logix5. i tried that driver before but didn't enter the ip where it asked me for a host name, instead i entered the processor name ugh. Now one more question how come i cannot see the dh+ connected to this processor? i want to connect to the dh+ via this connection if possible. Furthermore wow what a fast connection to the processor!!

again thanks Ken your great!!!