HMI programming

Shohadawy

I'm a newbie to this field, so please don't get annoyed as my question requires a very long answer

I'm asking about the HMI programming ... I want the steps that I should follow from connecting my plc to the HMI panel to getting my panel operating with my PLC ... I need to know how the objects that I draw on the operator panel with the configuration software is linked to the variables and operands in the PLC specially when the addressing method used in them is different.

You can explain using your own PLC and HMI brands. I just want to understand the basic idea for the problem

In general, an object such a push button or light will be placed on a display screen. That object will have properties that you assign to tags or memory locations in the PLC that will modify its behavior. Most of the time you double click on your object and the properties for that object will be displayed for editting.

A simple push button will have a property that describes what bit to turn on or off in the PLC's address space.

A simple light/indicator will have a property that describes what memory location in the PLC to monitor for its on /off behavior.

Each HMI configuration s/w package has different extensions of the simple objects described above. Lists, numeric displays, graphs, numeric entry, bit mapped graphics, etc. are some of the advanced objects that are featured in most HMIs.

jstolaruk said:
In general, an object such a push button or light will be placed on a display screen. That object will have properties that you assign to tags or memory locations in the PLC that will modify its behavior. Most of the time you double click on your object and the properties for that object will be displayed for editting.

But what about the addressing of these tags. I can see that the addressing symbols used in my HMI panel is different from used in my PLC ... How Can I link the objects in the HMI with the variables in the PLC?

What type of HMI are you using? Typically you have a tag database that maps PLC registers to HMI variables. You just "hook" your components to tags in the database.

Shohadawy said:
But what about the addressing of these tags. I can see that the addressing symbols used in my HMI panel is different from used in my PLC ... How Can I link the objects in the HMI with the variables in the PLC?

Shohadawy said:

A lot of the bigger brands have a premade list of PLC brands that it interfaces easily with.

In the HMI's configuration, you configure a Device that it will be connected to and how it's going to be connected (Ethernet, Serial, DH485, etc.). (This device will be the PLC)

I'll use Automation Direct's C-more as an example because that's what I use the most right now.

When I hook up a C-more panel, I program Device 1 to be a Allen Bradley Micrologix processor. The C-More software then changes all of the address types in the Tag Address to match the RSLogix500 address styles (B, N, C, T, F, etc.)

eg. Tag Name: Power_On_Indicator Tag Address: B3:10/5

When I leave it as an automation direct PLC (Like DirectLogic) it leaves the address options as DirectLogic.

Conclusion, you create tags in your HMI software, and point those tags to the actual address in the PLC through the HMI device configuration.

surferb said:
What type of HMI are you using? Typically you have a tag database that maps PLC registers to HMI variables. You just "hook" your components to tags in the database.

I'm using an Exter T100 touch operator panel. The configuration software is named " Information Designer". I hope this could help you to help me more

Tharon said:
A lot of the bigger brands have a premade list of PLC brands that it interfaces easily with.

In the HMI's configuration, you configure a Device that it will be connected to and how it's going to be connected (Ethernet, Serial, DH485, etc.). (This device will be the PLC)

I'll use Automation Direct's C-more as an example because that's what I use the most right now.

When I hook up a C-more panel, I program Device 1 to be a Allen Bradley Micrologix processor. The C-More software then changes all of the address types in the Tag Address to match the RSLogix500 address styles (B, N, C, T, F, etc.)

When I leave it as an automation direct PLC (Like DirectLogic) it leaves the address options as DirectLogic.

Conclusion, you create tags in your HMI software, and point those tags to the actual address in the PLC through the HMI device configuration.

Thanks for your helpful reply tharon. You seem to have a great experience in the HMI field. So let me ask another question... I want the name of a SCADA software that you see it is simple for me as a beginner to learn the principles of SCADA system programming

Shohadawy said:
Thanks for your helpful reply tharon. You seem to have a great experience in the HMI field. So let me ask another question... I want the name of a SCADA software that you see it is simple for me as a beginner to learn the principles of SCADA system programming

I'm not that experienced. I only use two different HMIs, PanelView and CMore.

SCADA is never simiple for beginners. They all seem to use some Database system to pass the information (I'm not that savvy when it comes to SQL databases and all that). We use InTouch from Wonderware but I have never developed with it. We only have the runtime license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharon

Hi i am new to all of this and i have a question, i am using what you have used as an example- i have a mircologix to a automation direct hmi and i would like to create a tag but i was not sure how to go about it, am i right in saying that for a eg. start button i would use a tag B3:0/0 and then use the B3:0/0 in the ladder? thanks for your time.

stu