ControlNet topology problem

raulitto

Hi everyone!

I'll try to be short: I'm running an exisiting ControlNet network with a 1756-CNBD in a chasis with a controllogix processor. In this network I have the PLC and a Congrav L/M3. Now, I want to add another Congrav L/M3 in this network but I don't know exactly how to do it.
I already tried these two ways: and , but without any results.
So, if you know another way to make this connection work, please let me know! Or if you think one of this 2 should work, tell me and I'll search for others issues.

Another question: if you know the Congrav controllers from Brabender.. they have a card that allows the ControlNet connection. That card has 2 connectors on its back and I know from my collegues (I'm quite new in the company and in this field) that we have to use the one from the bottom, but nobody knows here what is the purpose of the second one. This second connector could have a role in the network that I want to create?

Thank you very much and if you need any other details in order to answer to my questions, please don't hesitate and ask me!

Raul

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the devices you show connecting the network are ControlNet Taps. If so, then technically (well, as specified by the standard) you need three taps overall, and two terminators. Note that BNC "T" connectors are really not good enough.

One tap connects to each device, the taps then connect together, and the two at the very end (open connectors) get terminators.

Also, make sure that NOTHING is grounded. None of the metal parts of the cabling system should be at panel/earth ground.

Third, and probably the real problem... You need to use RSNetworx for ControlNet and schedule the new device properly, then download the updated configuration to the network.

thanks!

rdrast said:
I'm guessing that the devices you show connecting the network are ControlNet Taps.
Yap, you're right!

rdrast said:
One tap connects to each device, the taps then connect together, and the two at the very end (open connectors) get terminators.
This is what I needed!! Thank you very much! I can't wait to try it, but I'll have to wait for a stop, because we have continuous production here.. :D

Have a great day!

Raul