Availability of SLC 500 Parts

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have noticed that within the past month some SLC 500 parts listed on the Radio Spares website are now marked as "discontinued".

Some examples being:

1746-OW16 (RS 817-779)
1746-NI4 (RS 815-785)
1746-P2 (RS 817-707)
2711-ND3 (RS 381-8365)

Are Allen Bradley not manufacturing these parts anymore, or are RS just not stocking them? Is the SLC 500 range being slowly discontinued?

as far as I know they still are. I know I us in the states can still get these items. Not 100% on the power supply, I seem to remember one being discontinue due to lack of sales. Like non but you can always get a powersupply to fit the rack.

I'd say RS just isnt stocking them right now.

Thanks. We currently have 3 machines running AB hardware - two running SLC 150's with TCAT displays, and the third running an SLC 5/02 with a 1747-DTAM. We are looking at upgrading the hardware, and obviously do not want to be investing in hardware that will be discontinued in the near future.

I'm thinking of going for the SLC 5/03 with a Panelview 300 display. Would anyone advise against this?

Is Radio Spares an authorized A-B distributor in the UK, or are they a used parts house ?

All those part numbers are currently (and for the foreseeable future) manufactured new by A-B.

the_msp said:
Thanks. We currently have 3 machines running AB hardware - two running SLC 150's with TCAT displays, and the third running an SLC 5/02 with a 1747-DTAM. We are looking at upgrading the hardware, and obviously do not want to be investing in hardware that will be discontinued in the near future.

I'm thinking of going for the SLC 5/03 with a Panelview 300 display. Would anyone advise against this?

If you incist on staying with SLC, then I would use either the 5/04 (has built in DH+) or 5/05 (has built in ethernet port, but is not ethernet ip).

Personally I like the ControlLogix family of controllers.

I would recommend taking a serious look at the CompactLogix line from A-B. Unless requested otherwise, we've pretty much have made a "lateral" shift from SLCs; not quite full ControlLogix hardware but most of the s/w functionality.