MS WORD in RSVIEW

Kabir

I had this idea pop into my head to display the Operations manual for an HMI in the HMI itself.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to insert a MSWORD document into a RSVIEW32 Display

It would probably be better to convert your Word Documents to PDFs, then have the RSView display the PDFs.

RSView32 supports ActiveX controls if I remember correctly. You should be able to add a MSWord ActiveX control to the screen and use it to display the document. I don't have a PC with RSView32 handy, so do a little research or maybe someone else will give you further details.

Regards,

Justin

I've done the PDF Active X with no problems in RSView32 as well as AutoCAD dwf files for electrical schematics. Never tried with Word. But I would think that Acrobat would load much faster than a Word doc.

LJBMatt said:
I've done the PDF Active X with no problems in RSView32 as well as AutoCAD dwf files for electrical schematics. Never tried with Word. But I would think that Acrobat would load much faster than a Word doc.

Can you give us some VBA code/RSView32 Commands insight on how you got the PDF activeX control to work? I can get it to bring up the first pdf document fine, but when trying to load another one everything goes 'badly'. Check out my thread link. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! 🤞🏻

Not sure if this is possible with RA RSView32, but in Wonderware Intouch, we use WordView as the app to read work files. Then use sendkeys to launch the file.

I embed PDFs, DWF (acad) drawings, and HTML files in our RSView screens, HTML is the most common. I use Adobe, Autocad, and IE active X components for the respective file types. In the documents themselves I place hyperlinks for navigation.

That is the same way I did it Alaric. Pretty easy and straightforward. Sorry I don't have more details as it was about 3 years ago I last had to do this.

Alaric said:
I embed PDFs, DWF (acad) drawings, and HTML files in our RSView screens, HTML is the most common. I use Adobe, Autocad, and IE active X components for the respective file types. In the documents themselves I place hyperlinks for navigation.
Navigating from within the documents themselves works well for the HTML files, but can you open another pdf document from a hyperlink inside a pdf doc? Never did this before.
Once the first pdf or dwf is opened RSView does not like to open another. This is the problem I am having.

aiki202 said:
Navigating from within the documents themselves works well for the HTML files, but can you open another pdf document from a hyperlink inside a pdf doc?

I never tried that. For PDFs I would merge individual documents and put in bookmarks using a PDF editor.

Also, I have opened Word documents in OpenOffice (free from openoffice.org) added interdocument hyperlinks, and then used OO's save directly to PDF option to create the PDF with hyperlinks links embedded.

I have created PDFs with embedded web links but those always open the link in a browser window. I haven't tried any of those from a PDF viewer active X in RSView, but I'm certain that it will open by launching a seperate IE window not within RSVIew. Based on that, I would bet that a link to another PDF won't open the PDF in the same window, but would launch your PDF Viewer as a seperte window.

One thing you could try is to place a PDF viewer active X on an RSView screen and add RSView buttons that run VB using the PDV viewer object model to command it to open a different file.

Alaric said:
One thing you could try is to place a PDF viewer active X on an RSView screen and add RSView buttons that run VB using the PDV viewer object model to command it to open a different file.
This is exactly the way I have tried to accomplish it but I am doing something wrong. Here is what I have:

Dim tagURL As tag
Set tagURL = gTagDb.GetTag("HMI_MEMORY\User_Manual_Page")
If ComboBox1.ListIndex = 1 Then
tagURL.Value = "C:\Project_092208\rsview\pdf\SLC500_Getting_Results.pdf"
ElseIf ComboBox1.ListIndex = 2 Then
tagURL.Value = "C:\Project_092208\rsview\pdf\RSView32_Getting_Results.pdf"
End If
'gCommand.Execute ("Invoke User_Manuals.AdobeControl.src(HMI_MEMORY\User_Manual_Page)")
gCommand.Execute ("Invoke User_Manuals.AdobeControl.LoadFile(HMI_MEMORY\User_Manual_Page)")
Set tagURL = Nothing

When the display that contains the Adobe ActiveX object is opened I give the user a combo box to select the desired PDF file. The first file that opens works fine, the second try crashes the RSView app.