DeviceNet Help,Please

soda

I am new for controllogix and DeviceNet,manager ask me set up the test station on my desk to test some device. I use controllogix 5564 processer,devicenet DNB v10, Ethernet card connected my laptop to PLC. It seems have very serious error on the DNB, it shows NO Rx and I can't even download my scanlist file to PLC. In RSLINX I can see every scanner card there but cannot go online on RSNetworx and can't do anything on the devicenet. Because I only use one DNB,I just connected termination resister cross the scanner's blue and white port. Please help me, it has taken me 3 days and I tried everything, ask everyone I can find, but the DeviceNet still not work.

Last edited:
It may help to read up on devicenet media and terminations.

All cables must be from the approved list. You need to have 2 terminating resistors, 1 at each end of the main trunk. You must have all devices set to same baud rate and each device must be set to unique node address. There must be an approved 24VDC power supply on the network. The scanlist gets downloaded to the DNB module, not the PLC, using RSNetworx.

The NoRx error usually indicates that there is no scanlist loaded to direct comms for the DNB.

Once scanlist is setup and downloaded, the DNB must be placed in run mode.

Do a search for DNET_TECHBIBLE. This is a very valuable resource for devicenet.

Once you've gone through the heartache of getting it working the first time, you will have learned a lot and really appreciate all it can do.

Soda, welcome to the board.
First, you should be able to download an offline scanlist to the DNB with the no Rx, but the PLC must be in prog mode.
What does your devicenet network consist of? Are you supplying external 24VDC to the Red and Black wires?
Follow the advice given here, do some reading and don't panic. The more detailed you can be about what you want to accomplish and where you currently are at will help everyone else understand your goal and help you get there.
BTW what method are you using to browse the Devicenet network with your computer, Ethernet, DF1 (RS232), or a Devicenet PCMCIA card?

Last edited:
Another very good resource is the slideshow tutorial that comes with RSNetworx for DeviceNet. You can launch it from the Help menu or search the Rockwell Software/RSNetworxii/ directory for PPS files.

Since the 1756-DNB is displaying "No Rx" we know that 24 vdc has been applied and that there is simply no master/slave traffic on the network, which is normal for an unconfigured scanner.

As Matt pointed out, the scanlist is downloaded to the 1756-DNB in RSNetworx, not to the ControlLogix CPU itself.

Because you have described "seeing all the communication modules" but not being able to "go online with the DeviceNet", and because you have two very new modules (1756-L64 and 1756-DNB Series C) it sounds to me like you do not have the Electronic Data Sheet file for the 1756-DNB registered.

Without the proper EDS file, the 1756-DNB will still appear in a backplane browse of the ControlLogix rack. But there will be no "+" sign to the left of it, because RSLinx Classic doesn't have an EDS file to inform it that the 1756-DNB is a network bridge.

With the 1756-DNB/C, you can right-click on the module in the chassis browse of RSLinx/RSWho and select "upload EDS from module". You can also download the EDS file directly from the A-B website and use the RSLinx Classic Hardware Registration Tool to register it on your computer.

1756-DNB Series C FRN 10 EDS file:
http://www.ab.com/networks/eds/cgi-bin/detail.pl?file=DN/0001000C000E0A00.eds

DeviceNet is a lot like swimming. If you don't know anything, and there's nobody around to help you, you're going to splash around and not get much accomplished. Take a couple of lessons, and you'll get along fine.

DeviceNet Help

Thanks guys.I really appreciate all the advice. I have connected 24 DC, and the chassis only have power, processer, Ethernet and one DNB on it. I connected plc with my pc use Ethernet and switch, also download the new DNB EDS file from AB website. I download an empty ladder logic programm with only have IO confige to the processor. One UII-DCMFC, one TTR211S-D connected on the DNB. everything is on my desk, very simple network. I wonder if there is any problem on the ladder logic program or the terminal resistors connection, but since I even cannot download scanlist to the DNB, should have nothing about ladder logic yet.

If you can then in RSLinx you should be able to click the "+" sign and browse the devicenet network. Also in RSNetworx if you have an offline scanlist prepared you can download that into the DNB. However for the Scanner to actively scan the network you will have to have an output in your ladder telling the DNB you want to actively scan your scanlist. The "No Rx" error should not affect you preforming this unless there is something else you haven't stated.

Let me reiterate.

Without the proper EDS file, the 1756-DNB will still appear in a backplane browse of the ControlLogix rack. But there will be no "+" sign to the left of it, because RSLinx Classic doesn't have an EDS file to inform it that the 1756-DNB is a network bridge.

With the 1756-DNB/C, you can right-click on the module in the chassis browse of RSLinx/RSWho and select "upload EDS from module". You can also download the EDS file directly from the A-B website and use the RSLinx Classic Hardware Registration Tool to register it on your computer.

Merely downloading the EDS file onto your hard drive does not register the EDS file. You must use one of the two methods identified in the previous paragraph to register the EDS file.

Last edited:
To expand on my written remarks:

Which of these two screen captures most closely resembles the appearance of the 1756-DNB in your RSWho screen ?

DNB_registration.GIF

I can see the module but cannot see the devices on RSlinx, I will try to register the EDS file again. your guys really help. thanks a lot

I still do not understand if your RSWho browse indicates a properly installed EDS file.

Does your RSWho browse look like the top or the bottom screenshot ?

It's like top one, but I download,registe the version 10.5 EDS file and everything same. I take the PLC to lab and set up new devicenet, the PLC and devicenet work fine. So it seems there is some problem on my rockwell software or the devicewiring. I will find out later. Thanks for help guys.

Ken Roach,

How to find the EDS file. I used the link you give me, but I can't google it by myself. Could you tell me how you did it? many thanks