SLC 5/03 - NI4 maxing out

downunderpom

Hi, Has anyone had the problem with all 4 channels maxed out to 32767, even with the wiring terminal unplugged. Tried changing NI4 Card, no joy, moved NI4 into different pos in rack, no joy. Measured inputs, (Current) All good, not floating high above ground. Thinking maybe rack or PSU???? Any ideas???

Did you check the switch settings on the module? Each channel has the choice of being a current or voltage input. Try using a voltage setup, and use a volt meter to confirm that a voltage of what you expect is applied to the channel's IN+ and IN- inputs. I'm not sure how you would verify with current inputs unless you had another instrument to compare with.

You can verify the input signals without lifting wires by measuring voltage at each input channel. It should be 1-5 vdc for a 4-20ma current signal (250 Ohm internal resistor).

Has it ever worked? If it's a new system and is still being commissioned, it still could be a configuration problem. Is the NI4 in a local rack or a remote rack?

If it is something that used to work, what happened just before it stopped working? I wouldn't suspect the rack if everything else in the rack is working.