Controlling Vlt 5000 drive via S7 400 profibus

ogie125

:confused: I like to know how can I control a Danfoss Vlt 5000 drive (start, stop and speed reference) plus the loading of parameters like acceleration, decelelaration, current limit,max frequency etc., from a data block in an S7 400 plc via profibus.My guess is using sfc14 and sfc15, but I feel I still need a lot of information on this, like what to open in the vfd itself.A sample code that I could study would be great.Thanks in advance.
đź“š

If you have GSD or GSE files for Danforss VFD, you can check it from the files I think, or try fromtheir web-sites.
GSD-file is electrical data sheet (EDS) in German and GSE in English.
I think speed-ref. and controls as forward and reverse will be found, but acc/dec-times etc. could be different.
Where is Jesper ? Danish product !

what is this profibus????

is this profibus a kind of protocol like HART???
plz let me know, b'coz i m heard of this word but dont' know in which context???

Ogie125,

I have built several function blocks for drive communication (Magnetek 315/515 drives, Control Techniques Unidrives and Siemens)

After you install the GSD file into Step7, you will need the documentation of this GSD file. This will come from Danfoss. The part that is important will be the location of control bits (send), speed reference..etc. Even though alot drive follow the profibus profile, there are still differences. This information is not located in the GSD file. The GSD file will only contain the AMOUNT of info sent and recieved.

If you can get me the GSD file and the Danfoss profibus document, I will try to built a function block for you.

And by the way- Profibus is alot more flexible, easier to use and faster that DeviceNet (my opinion)

Hello Seppoalanen and JRW,

Recently dowloaded and installed the GSD files from Danfoss, and now its icon now shows in the hardware configuration for profibus. Also opened the GSD on a text editor but was not able to find a kind of Control Word address in it. I just dowloaded the profibus document for the drive and on initial reading, it seems to contain the info I'm looking for, though I'm still studying it further...JRW, I'll just e-mail you copies of this because I don't think I could attach it here in the message board. I will try to write a code base on the information I get, but I would really appreciate it if you could still send me a sample code that I could study.

By the way I was able to download the sample program you did for the Siemens Masterdrive.If you don't mind I have a question to ask concerning FB12. The "Write" part of the program starts with address 32.0 and ends with 42.0 in the data block and the "Read" part starts with 44.0 and ends with 54.0, then you have a comment that says "the control word has been exchanged to line up with bits in the drive" Are the read and write addresses in the datablock exactly the same as those in the drive? Do the addresses in the datablock act like "tags"
when compared to the communication of an HMI?

Again thanks in advance. :)

Ogie125,

That block (FB12) is designed for PPO type 4. This means 6 words (12 bytes) of write data and 6 words (12 bytes) of read data. Look at function diagram 180 and 200 in the Masterdrive manual, then go back and look at the instance DB for FB12. It should make sense then.

Regarding the Danfoss drive- You may want to follow the same type of format. But I would have to see the Danfoss profibus manual.
A GSD file will not contain the control/status word info.

Jay

[email protected]