2yr degree in ceet

sparky77

I am currently going to school for a CEET associates, how hard is it to get a job in the PLC/ plant maintenance feild with just this degree? Are there any certification courses that would help my chances when I graduate. I have 7yrs experience in maintenance but not in an industrial enviroment. thanks in advance..... :D beerchug :D

. I have 7yrs experience in maintenance but not in an industrial enviroment. thanks in advance.....

What kind of maintenance experience do you have?

I am in the process of relocating and have given my company 2 weeks notice. They are attempting to replace me before I leave and I have been doing the interviews. It depends on training and experience what you may do. NOTE that in many companies maintenance is multicraft and you are more or less required to do everything. I interviewed with a company for an electronics position and they asked if I could weld, that should give a hint of the versatility they look for in the top level positions.

In general there are 3 positions in the industrial maintenance field.
1. Entry or trainee: Minimum or no prior experience
2. Mid or main: 3+ yrs experience, training and experience.
3. Technician: 5+ yrs experience with either a 2 yr degree or specializing in one field.

If you have 7 yrs experience working with pumps, motors, hvac, and/or electricity then you should be able to get a mid level position easily then work from there to obtain experience and a higher level position.

NOTE: I have stated this many times...There are no "PLC" jobs. Working with plc's is "PART" of the regular duties for many maintenance personnel. Programming is usually part of an "engineers" job when the machine is designed. The field is open though, there are many positions (service and maintenance) that are different shades of gray when it comes to job duties.

Education is helpful but desire is what gets you places.

rsdoran,
I work for Maryville City school system. My primary duties are welding(the only one in the shop who can), and electrical wiring lighting receptacles etc... but as you said it's a wide range of duties so I also have done everything else including pump rebuilds, HVAC, plumbing, and concrete finishing. I am not certified in any one thing yet, but my welding is my strong point.

What company do you work for and how close are you to Maryville/Greenback?

I work for a division of American Greetings named Plusmark. The main plant/headquarters for the company is in Greenville, TN, this plant is in Franklin, TN.

If you have strong welding skills and a background in electrical with a degree/certificate you shouldnt have a problem finding a position. You may have to start at mid-level but if you have the desire/drive then its possible to advance. If you dont mind traveling then service work can pay very well.

Job hunting is unique, sometimes blind dumb luck can get you a great job. For most of us we have to work hard, learn as much as possible, then search hard..most of the "good" jobs arent always listed in the newspaper or at the state employment office.

I mentioned interviewing for an "electronics technician" position at a steel plant. They are in a hurry to fill the position but have interviewed a lot of people. When you apply they give 2 tests, one asking what symbols are, draw stop/start ckt, electronic calculation on inverting op amp etc. The second was a timed test for math. I did well on the first test and aced the math test with time to spare. I dont have experience in a steel processing plant but my overall experience and the fact I did well on the tests got me in to talk to the head guy. Tentatively I was offered the job, I should know more next week.

rsdoran,
As far as certificates go I currently do not have any but in Nov of 2004 I will an associates in computer electronics engineering from ITT. I hope this degree along with my other experience will land me a pretty decent job. I have a wife and two kids so a lot of travel is not in my plans for a career.

good luck with your new adventure I hope everything works out the way you'd like it.

thanks again for the info... :D beerchug :D

sparky77,

rsdoran is right, no such thing as a PLC job, but it gets you ahead on your job. My background is gas turbine engines, they've evolved from the old relay controls to PLC's. So by learning PLC's, it makes me a little bit more capable than a regular turbine "wrench-turner". PLC's are just about everywhere now, even a small sewage disposal device we have at our facility has a program in it. Whatever industry you are in, I think PLC's gives you a nose's hair ahead of the crowd; and sometimes that is all it takes to be gainfully employed.

Cheers.

There are no "PLC" jobs" (??) My job is specifically that, programming PLCs. I work for an OEM whose machines, while generally similar, vary enough from customer to customer to require constant program changes. Just when I think I've figured out the various permutations and programed for easy selection they come up with another one. There are also the occasional major modifications and outright 'new' machines. Maybe it's rare but there is at least one "PLC" job.

PLC jobs

I worked with a guy from a polyurethane machine OEM who was a PLC programmer. He did all of the PLCs and HMI stuff on the project. They had a CAD department who did the drawings, an electrical engineering department who designed the electrical system, mechanical engeneering department who designed the mechanicals, a piping department who designed all of the process piping as well as the hydrualic systems, a field service/start-up crew who did all of the installation/service, and a whole slew of management.

I thought it was amazing to have, just in the controls part of the project, 4 different departments working on the same project (not including management).

I guess I didn't know the feild was so specialized. My thought is that with my degree I will be able to get in the programming side or the design side, working under an engineer while I further my education. I've always been interested in the automation feild and would love to be able to work with some of these beasts.

Thanks again for the info guy's this site is great!!!! :D