PLC master and MODBUS RTU

sandhya61280

I would like to know what data structures (MODBUS RTU protocol) do the popular Masters such as PLCs or SCADA support. We intend to decide a slave unit that can be interfaced with another PLC or SCADA and want to use MODBUS RTU protocol. We are confused about the data structures since we want to operate on floating point numbers as well and do not know whether all masters support this format.

Thanks
Sandhya

It may be helpful if you tell us what your slave and masters are, for floating point most masters just read 2 registers then you declare the data type as Floating in your SCADA or HMI, not much more too it than that really.

If you download a few of the OPC Servers out there you will see be able to see what they support. These manufacturers are going to support what the industry is expoecting. Yolu will find some specialt flow meters that use and Enron Modbus Format. If your device is targeted for the Petroleum or Water Management Markets you will wnat to use this format.