Curtain type sensor

memberpeace

I need about a meter long sensor like light curtain sensors but it needs to be one piece like sender and receiver at the same unit. It could be inductive proximity or photoelectric sensor, etc. 40 mm sensing distance is enough.
Are there any options of any brands like that?

Are you trying to sense a 1 meter area, and look for an object anywhere in the area? Use a Keyence Laser. Set it up so it's happy seeing 1 meter.

Safety Light Curtain

memberpeace said:
I need about a meter long sensor like light curtain sensors but it needs to be one piece like sender and receiver at the same unit. It could be inductive proximity or photoelectric sensor, etc. 40 mm sensing distance is enough.
Are there any options of any brands like that?

Try The SICK light curtain. I use a lot of it in the plant for safety of operator and production personnels.

www.sick.com

What type of application are you using this for, safety or part detection ?

The answer will vary wildly until you state this

I need it for part detection. There is carriage at the system. As soon as it brings two steel baskets on top it needs to confirm that they are there. Before, it was only one type of basket in use so it was easy. So just putting two inductive sensors were enough to detect them as they were standing at the same place all the time. Now different framed baskets stand in different places. That's why I asked for a meter long sensor or a sensor senses within a meter circled area. It needs to detect from the buttom of the baskets. I cannot put a mirror or second pair to the top.

Maj. Toxido said:
Try The SICK light curtain. I use a lot of it in the plant for safety of operator and production personnels.

www.sick.com

I agree with the SICK recommendation. They are meant for safety but it is perfectly acceptable to just use them for part detection. I am still a bit confused as to why a 1 meter sensor is required.

As they have 1 meter width. For safety reasons it is better to detect from bottom to top vertically not diagonally.

So could SICK work as one piece?

memberpeace said:
I need it for part detection. I cannot put a mirror or second pair to the top.

Several years ago this product was the "cats' meow" for detecting logs or cants at the dropoff point on a sawmill carriage.

http://www.redwoodelectronics.com/VLS.html

videols.jpg

memberpeace said:
As they have 1 meter width. For safety reasons it is better to detect from bottom to top vertically not diagonally.

So could SICK work as one piece?

Yes. You program them to extend the curtain as far as you want and the width of the field is adjustable as well. As I said, these are pricey because they are really designed to be used in place of light screens and other safety devices.

http://ecatalog.sick.com/Products/ProductFinder/relatedapplications.aspx?finder=Produktfinder&pid=13007&lang=en

You are right kbpatton

It was quite pricey. SICK PLS101-312 laser scanner. $5000, waavv!
I better create one or two robotic sensor to detect the baskets with motion. But I can't. Can I? :(

Keyence Laser seems good with long distance option. I will do a further investigation on it. I also look deeply into ultrasonic sensors. The problem is I haven't used them before in any application. I don't know much of their characteristics like their sensing distances or how wide their ranges. Do you have any information about that? May be I need a special one of them.

I couldn't have had a chance to look into video limit switches as PC was frozen twice in that website. I will do that with other PC may be.

Thanks for the advises so far. Look forward to hearing from you...