dinston

In RS Logix 5000, I do this to when I want to toggle a bit:

1-shot bit tempbit tempbit bit
--] [----+--]/[----(U)--+---+--]/[----(L)--+--
| | | |
| | | |
| bit tempbit| |tempbit bit |
+--] [----(L)--+ +--] [----(U)--+

But this seems unnecessarily verbose. Does anyone have a better method which only uses bit level addresses?

I know I could use an XOR, but I would rather not use word addressing.

Mine isn't really any better, but this is what I use...(SLC500 version)...

flipflop0000.JPG

Paul

I've heard of it being done with bit zero of a counter. This also eliminates the need for a one-shot.

Last edited:
Regarding Okie's version, doesn't the Panelview have the ability to configure a button as a toggle button as well as a momentary button? And if that's the case, just use the button to toggle a bit.

godfrey said:
Regarding Okie's version, doesn't the Panelview have the ability to configure a button as a toggle button as well as a momentary button? And if that's the case, just use the button to toggle a bit.

You can do this... However if you lose comm or reset the panelview you may get unintended bit change from the maintained pushbutton.

godfrey said:

LJBMatt said:
You can do this... However if you lose comm or reset the panelview you may get unintended bit change from the maintained pushbutton.

Yes, my method which is in use in hundreds of different little places over the past ten years, handles Panelview comms and other discrete inputs with great predictability, unlike some particular built-in HMI settings which can bite you unless you test every possible "what-if-scenario".

If the momentary button gets stuck on because a forktruck wiped out my comm cable, the program will not take any action when comms are restored.

I can add logic and braches prior to the Oneshot bit, or split the logic into two rungs in order to get as many different unlatch and latch conditions as I require.

Sometimes there may be three or four reasons that call for unlatching a "mode bit", or switching the state of a directional control valve, for examples...

Mine requires two extra bits, so less memory, and minimal cpu processing time, but the XOR and the CTU are more elegant in appearance.

For me, speed and function always take priority over appearance...but to each his own...

I have also used another version I learned here, which requires no special instructions and operates on the release action. It is less simple to customize, but will run on any ladder interpreter. No time to hunt for a link...

Paul

Last edited:
Gerry, I downloaded the AOI, tried to open it but i couldn't, it has an .L5X extension, it´s supposed to be .L5K, so i changed it but same thing, it doesn´t open what´s wrong ?

widelto said:
Gerry, I downloaded the AOI, tried to open it but i couldn't, it has an .L5X extension, it´s supposed to be .L5K, so i changed it but same thing, it doesn´t open what´s wrong ?

You don't open .L5X as a program. Open a program, right click on 'Add-On Instructions' in the project tree, select import, and find the AOI L5X.

I skin my cat with this, pretty much the same as the link above I guess - but w/o the nested ons that some PLCs don't like.

ToggleBit.JPG

This also works:

Code:
Toggle      Bit       Bit
---| |------|/|---+---( )-|
                  |
Toggle      Bit   |
---|/|------| |---+

If Toggle == True Bit will be toggled.

Make sure Toggle is high only One Shot.

Last edited: