siemens S7-200 - PC interface

benji

im looking for to build my own scada software to monitor variables and send commands back to the S7-200
im going to do the software in C++
the problem is that i dont know about the protocol the s7200 uses

does the programming cable do it without any additional hardware?
anyone done this before? any info ?

click

click here: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=25160

It looks like your PPI cable will do the job...

OPC is the way to go for you.

Greetz

benji said:
im looking for to build my own scada software to monitor variables and send commands back to the S7-200
im going to do the software in C++

anyone done this before? any info ?

You're not alone. The protocol is called PPI (Point-To-Point interface), but that's about all I know about it.
NO. The programming port of the S7-200 PLC is RS485, most PCs have RS232 and/or USB ports. The original Siemens cable contains a data driven converter from RS232 or USB to RS485.
anyone done this before?
GeniusInTraining here has produced an interface, which you can buy there.

Kind regards,

hey

didn't know if it works with the converter.

I think with a CP5512 it should work.

https://mall.automation.siemens.com/BE/guest/index.asp?aktprim=0&nodeID=10023520&lang=en&foldersopen=-1985-1978-1977-1391-1390-1-1995-&jumpto=1995

This is the driver you need to run for OPC.

For the connection I would buy an CP 243-1 IT

jvdcande said:
You're not alone. The protocol is called PPI (Point-To-Point interface), but that's about all I know about it.
NO. The programming port of the S7-200 PLC is RS485, most PCs have RS232 and/or USB ports. The original Siemens cable contains a data driven converter from RS232 or USB to RS485. GeniusInTraining here has produced an interface, which you can buy there.

Kind regards,

Combo,

I have tested both the RS232-PPI cable from Siemens as well as the interface sold by GeniusInTraining with CitectSCADA and both worked very well.

I didn't test it with OPC software, but if it works with CitectSCADA there should be some useable OPC software around too.

Kind regards,

jvdcande said:
I have tested both the RS232-PPI cable from Siemens as well as the interface sold by GeniusInTraining with CitectSCADA and both worked very well.,

Thanks Jean, I now have several types, I need to send you one of my new styles to see if you have the same results...

Or benji, I could send it to you and you could try it with your project... send me a PM or email

thanks you guys for the info

about the programming cable, isnt it alredy made to convert rs-232 to rs-485 ?

actually im looking for to send/recieve data through my computer serial port (i want to build my own software)
i think i should send a specific byte to do somthing with the plc (read a designated variable or command an input)

so what i need here is the software protocol for the plc s7-200

arnt there any pdf text book that shows the protocol?

the hardware interface would be fairly easy than the programming interface part

I'm afraid not, nor in any other format, at least none that I know about. Siemens is very protective when it comes to information about their communication protocols. They're protecting their market and that's very understandable.

Kind regards,

+...

I know it's not an answer to your question because u use an S7-200 CPU, but...

I've red somewhere that the new ET200M on profinet can be an I/O device without a CPU, controlled with OPC from a PC with the ethernet connection. So the processing is done in VB, C or whatever...

benji said:
thanks you guys for the info

about the programming cable, isnt it alredy made to convert rs-232 to rs-485 ?

actually im looking for to send/recieve data through my computer serial port (i want to build my own software)
i think i should send a specific byte to do somthing with the plc (read a designated variable or command an input)

so what i need here is the software protocol for the plc s7-200

the hardware interface would be fairly easy than the programming interface part

I have a s7 200 plc version 1.12. It is password protected. But i need to program a HMI for the machine. Is it possible to read the program/ data registor which are used in PLC. If Yes please tell me how? Someone tell me that they can find the password of S7 200 PLC Version: under 2.1
Is it True? and they tell me their system is debugging.