looking for latching indicato

jimtech67

I am looking for a type of latching indicator.

I need to indicate pass / fail at 12 locations on moveable cart. The cart has 12 locations where products are placed and undergo certain quality tests. I will pulse the each location with the appropriate pass / fail pulse. The cart will then be electrically unplugged and moved. I need to retain the pass / fail indication at each location on the cart when power is removed.

I would like to use 120 VAC but this is not written in stone.

Is there anything out there like this? I have done a google search and cannot find what I need.

I hope my explanation is clear

jimtech67 said:
I am looking for a type of latching indicator.

I will pulse the each location with the appropriate pass / fail pulse. The cart will then be electrically unplugged and moved. I need to retain the pass / fail indication at each location on the cart when power is removed.

I would like to use 120 VAC but this is not written in stone.

Latching relays? They stay set when the power is removed.
http://www.magnecraft.com/latching_sequencing_relays.php
http://www.ab.com/industrialcontrols/products/relays_timers_and_temp_controllers/general_purpose_relays/700-hj.html
http://web1.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Relays_-z-_Timers/16A_Latching_Octal_Relays/755-2C-120A

Edit: Some even have indicators on them.

Last edited:
try barcodes, two at each station one for good and one for bad then send the data to a database options are wireless or download to a PC

jimtech67,

I looked up your previous posts' and I noticed you asked about AD retentive bits and you have also asked about other AD items.

How about using a D0-06AR DL06 (AC version). Set a retentive bit at the test location. Unplug , the data will stay valid for several days on just the supercap alone. Asscociate an output to the retentive bit. Plug the unit back in, and the set bits will light up the outputs.

Thanks for the responses guys but I am not looking to latch a bit in the PLC or a latching relay.

I am looking for a latching display to indicate pass / fail state. I need the indicators to retain their state after the PLC has given a pulse and the carts are unplugged and moved to another location. Rdrast’s post hit on what I need but I would really like some thing with 3 positions to indicate:
PASS
BLANK (when the latch is reset the indicator is in this position)
FAIL

I would like to find something off the shelf rather than have maintenance build something.

Is the "cart" pushed by hand or is it battery powered? Do you need the indication to be visible when the cart is unplugged or only when it is plugged back in at the next station?

Edit:
Why do we always seem to jump immediately to a high-tech, PLC/SCADA/Database based solution for what is a very simple problem?

force of habit I guess anyways it initially sounded like an application I designed where we have several QA personel that walk around checking products I already had a wireless network with sufficient coverage so the barcode handscanner application worked beautifully for this app

BTalbot said:
Is the "cart" pushed by hand or is it battery powered? Do you need the indication to be visible when the cart is unplugged or only when it is plugged back in at the next station?

The cart will be moved by hand

I do nee to retain visible pass / fail indication because when the cart is moved to its next location power will NOT be reapplied

jimtech67 said:
Thanks for the responses guys but I am not looking to latch a bit in the PLC or a latching relay.

I am looking for a latching display to indicate pass / fail state. I need the indicators to retain their state after the PLC has given a pulse and the carts are unplugged and moved to another location. Rdrast’s post hit on what I need but I would really like some thing with 3 positions to indicate:
PASS
BLANK (when the latch is reset the indicator is in this position)
FAIL

I would like to find something off the shelf rather than have maintenance build something.

Use two.

jimtech67 said:
I am looking for a latching display to indicate pass / fail state. I need the indicators to retain their state after the PLC has given a pulse and the carts are unplugged and moved to another location.

Why don´t you just latch those bits to a memory position and then move or copy those bits to a real output ( lights ), you know that what you latch will stay the same until you unlatch it even if there is no energy.

widelto said:
Why don´t you just latch those bits to a memory position and then move or copy those bits to a real output ( lights ), you know that what you latch will stay the same until you unlatch it even if there is no energy.

I do not need to retain the state in PLC. I need to retain the visual pass / fail indication. Because when power is removed from the cart it will be moved to another location where a different operator will perform the next operation on the parts. This next operation does not need to be attached to the PLC.