cnb vs enet

thompson7716

I have always used cnb modules when configuring remote 5000 chassis. I know...your must have RS for control net and schedule all of your cnb connections. I have heard of some doing it over enet where there is no scheduling of connections. I have never tried enet in a remote chassis. I and would like to get a few opinions. Can you guys help me out??

Thanks

People use it. People like it, it works.
Personally, I don't put I/O on Ethernet. I keep all I/O networks completely separate from a network that can be taken down or disrupted by someone plugging in a PC with a bad NIC. Or that can be screwed by an "IT" department, now or in the future.

IF I were to use Ethernet for I/O, it would be a completely separate IP network, with absolutely no connection to the upstream/HMI/Comms Ethernet.

That's a good recommendation and what we do. Two ENB modules. One is the machine network for I/O and Drives. The other is the process network for other CLXs, HMIs, etc.

rdrast said:
IF I were to use Ethernet for I/O, it would be a completely separate IP network, with absolutely no connection to the upstream/HMI/Comms Ethernet.

I have a remote chassis conected to a CLX chassis using ethernet but i use a cross cable between ENBTs boards.