plc

Please Lock Car

Purchase Leather Camel

Push Linear Cat

Programmable Logic Controller

Peace Love Carma <--- ran out... but K and C can sound alike :)

Play Live clipart

Piece Laughable Crock

"PLC" is a registered trademark of Allen Bradley.

PC refers to programmable controller, but PC is easily confused with personal computer, so lots of people call PCs PLCs, but technically PLC refers to only one brand of PC.

Alaric said:

PC refers to programmable controller, but PC is easily confused with personal computer, so lots of people call PCs PLCs, but technically PLC refers to only one brand of PC.

I've never heard this one in ::mumble mumble:: years. Most manufacturers call their systems "PLCs", you would think there would be a trademark infringement.

Are you sure?

Yes, I'm sure. Not only is PLC a registered trademark, "Programmable Logic Controller" is also a registered trademark.

AB puts the trademark designation on some of its literature. (Here is one example, see p9)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odo_J._Struger#cite_note-what-5
http://www.sagitate.com/Product_AB.htm
http://www.machine-information-systems.com/PLC.html

However the PLC trademark has become the Kleenex of the automation world - it would be difficult to enforce the PLC trademark now and there would be very little to gain and lots of bad publicity.

Hmmm...
the PLC trademark has become the Kleenex of the automation world
What are you suggesting? Some automation projects are just so exciting you need to keep a PLC handy ...? :)

Ken M said:
Hmmm... What are you suggesting? Some automation projects are just so exciting you need to keep a PLC handy ...? :)
I believe that this refers to the fact that the "PLC" is used to "kleen up" the "messes" left by mechanical engineers?

While Morely is credited with inventing the programmable controller, its not at all certain that he at that time called it a PLC or programmable logic controller as opposed to just programmable controller.

Odo J Struger is credited with creating the PLC acronym.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odo_J._Struger#cite_note-what-5

(FWIW: There are now more than enough links in this thread that the OP can answer his own question if he will just expend the effort to follow and read.)

Alaric said:

Did you know that: "Rockwell™ is a trademark of The Monotype Corporation"

Having a name of a product (i.e. PLC-5) as a trademark is a method to prevent your product from being confused with a competitor's product, but it does not necessarily give you the right to its exclusive use. And if the registered trademark is not enforced (the way Coca-Cola does with Coke) it may become generic and open to use by any one (aspirin was once a register trademark).

So, yes it is true that at one time PLC meant a specific item, but technically now it is a generic term.

Jim Dungar said:
So, yes it is true that at one time PLC meant a specific item, but technically now it is a generic term.

Which is exactly what I meant when I called the PLC trademark the "Kleenex" of the automation industry.

Please understand that I'm not making a case for exclusiviity in the use of PLC, nothing of the sort, I'm only conveying a bit of history here about the evolution of the term PLC.