Touchscreen choices????

RookieGerg

I am looking to replace and reprogam a stand alone teststand. My ? is in regards to what brand anyone would recommend. AB are pricey, so I was contemplating C-more (koyo), or a udicon. I will have 6-8 screens on the panel. Took a boot camp class about AB and was curious about the programing as well. All info appreciated. Thanks.

RookieGerg said:
I am looking to replace and reprogam a stand alone teststand. My ? is in regards to what brand anyone would recommend. AB are pricey, so I was contemplating C-more (koyo), or a udicon. I will have 6-8 screens on the panel. Took a boot camp class about AB and was curious about the programing as well. All info appreciated. Thanks.

We have been using the Magelis http://www.us.telemecanique.com/products/Automation/Human_Machine_Interface/index.html

as a replacement for PV1000+ Touch screens with great success.
Supports Clgx native tags as well

We have had excellent results with the C-More HMIs. The pricing is attractive, but in addition the software is very easy to learn and the quality is good. We've used them with most of the Alen Bradley PLCs without any problems. Note, though, that they don't support DH+, just DH-485 and DF1.

Since you mentioned replacing and reprogramming the entire stand, how about Unitronics ( www.unitronics.com) They have a range of integrated PLC and HMI, including touchscreens and color models, modbus and ethernet support, and very low cost.

The HMI and PLC program with a single software package, Visilogic (for the Vision series). The software is completely free, upgrades are also free, and so is tech support - all three claims AB cannot make.

Download it from their site and see what you think before you commit.

Best of luck!

TM

We've been using the CTC Parker touch screens, basically because they are very inexpensive. The software to design the screens(InteractXpress Manager) is very cheap as well.

I agree with all the above, stay away from AB, they are expensive, the software is expensive, fall over at the slightest glitch, a pain to load & get running.
E range or Beijers exeter etc. (they make them both), not tried the G3 but they are popular here.

I have used the Modicon (Telemechanique) Magelis XBTG units with Vijeo developer software with good results. They will be more expensive than C-More or some of the others that get good reviews on this site. The AB PV+ is a very expensive unit.

Steve

Elcan said:
We've been using the CTC Parker touch screens, basically because they are very inexpensive. The software to design the screens(InteractXpress Manager) is very cheap as well.
I2nd the CTC Xpress. Cheap compared to AB, good looking graphics and such, a boatload of free drivers and the Interact Xpress Software is around $180.00 one time purchase.

Horner also makes a new XL6 color combo PLC/HMI. Around $1100.00 and the software is free (Cscape) you can download from their web site once you register.

HMI for CompactLogic

Thought about starting another thread but decided to chime in with this one and maybe get some advice. I am doing a CompactLogix project and have a somewhat limited budget for this job so I decided to go with the new PanelView Component C1000. I'm almost certain I asked my local AB rep or even checked at the website to make sure this HMI would work with RSLogix 5000. So here I am at the 11th hour and ready to start my HMI programming when I read this in the release notes of the PVC,

"ControlLogix and CompactLogix tags are not supported.
The native tags in the ControlLogix and CompactLogix controllers are not supported by the PanelView Component terminal."

I cannot believe or understand why AB would come out with a more cost effective operator interface and then not have it support its main PLC line. I am thinking about using C-more. I need something that easily talks with RSLogix5K. Is the programming software included with the C-more? How does it compare with the EZTouch? The 10" EZTouch is $2200 and I already have the software from a previous project but I don't really like it. I believe the 10" C-more is about $1500. We normally use the PV+ even though it is pricey because we already have the software and it integrates well with RSLogix.

We have been using IDEC Touch Screens for 10 years.

http://www.idec.com/usen/products/Catalogs/OperatorInterfaces/OperatorInterfaces.html

I have downloaded and tried to setup a program with RedLion G3. Very combersome program software, limited graphics, ect...

The programming software fo the IDEC is around $130.00 one time purchase and all additional updates are included at no charge.

Out of all of the touch screen programming software that I have used, the IDEC is by far the easiest one, in my opinion, to program.

Just my 2 cents.