Windows Vista?? have you been waiting?

Looks like Windows 7 will be better and hey it may just work with your software :)
That's not what I got out of it, still Vista underneath. You can polish a turd, but it's still a...
Microsoft is clearly looking to leave a far different first impression than it did with Windows Vista, which made major changes under the hood and led to considerable incompatibilities. With Windows 7, Microsoft is not introducing any major changes to the Windows kernel and is keeping much of the other plumbing substantially similar to that of Vista.

I am not sure about Windows 7 in 2010, but I recenly switched to Vista at work and at home and after initial struggle I really like it.

First, few months ago I installed it on a test PC at work but did not use it too much, tested Logix v17 installs and added older versions, but never had a chance to use it on the daily basis.

About month ago I installed Vista on my home PC - old P4 machine just for a test and was really impressed how smooth it works. I had problems with old TV tuner video card, so while I was trying to get it running I got enough confidence that it is worth to switch. Tuner is OK now so last weekend I finally moved to Vista while but still keepeing my XP harddrive ;). All programs work just fine, I learned how to get even Win2K applications and drivers to run.

What i like is much faster download speeds - in some cases double - not sure what stack changes they made but I see significant speed improvments from XP on the exact same hardware

So should you wait for Windows 7?- probably not...

The real funny thing is that the "7" in "Windows 7" is just a name, not a version number. The actual version number will be 6.1! Only Microsoft could do that!

I would think we might start seeing the early betas showing up anytime now since Windows 7 was introduced at PDC last week and everyone in attendance was supposed to get a copy.

If you want more detailed info, here is the best site on the net for Windows info.

http://www.winsupersite.com/

They have a three part preview of Windows 7.

OG

TWControls said:
That's not what I got out of it, still Vista underneath. You can polish a turd, but it's still a...

Quit being so damn argumentative...

PS That was some very good coffee <inside joke> :)

Alaric said:
http://www.ubuntu.com/ (y)

More and more tempting every day...

It's on my box, although I prefer SuSE.

I haven't used Windows at home for anything other than non-networked games in years.

Nor have I had to clean out virii, spyware, or old .dll's that just won't go away.

I must be doing something wrong, I feel like I've missed the entire MS experience.

geniusintraining said:
Quit being so damn argumentative...

PS That was some very good coffee <inside joke> :)
Next time you better have some sugar...

Came home to sick kids, hope to get back with by tomorrow

Since the first time I used Vista, I've been predicting it will be the next ME. The last time I had so many compatibility problems was when my dad was running ME on his home computer. I had to go to his house every week to help him figure problems out. He "upgraded" from Windows 98, which he never had any problems with. I convinced him to upgrade to XP and he never had a problem after that. That's what Vista is going to be.

Last edited:
Tim - I respectfully disagree. As far as I'm concerned the NT kernel was the best part about the Windows 2000 and XP start.

The things that irritate me about Vista aren't that "deep". The "are you sure" about everything (poor attempt at Linux user versus root), Aero Glass (which they spent soooo much on), requiring all drivers to be digitally signed (good intent, but **** off), etc. Then they dropped the features that I cared about WinFS (DB based file system), there was another too.

Microsoft is inevitably moving forward to support more modern hardware architectures (64 bit) - this is a huge positive step if they get the vendor support (Rockwell - hint, hint). They are providing better legacy emulation, but this isn't the point.

Anyway - MS received A LOT of Vista feedback. I think they know what to do to move forward.

TWControls said:

:) no kidding Vista=ME. I've been mandated to upgrade > 100 computers at work to Vista/Office 2007 in the next couple of months. Oh gosh! Can you imagine?

SonicClang said:
Since the first time I used Vista, I've been predicting it will be the next ME. The last time I had some many compatibility problems was when my dad was running ME on his home computer. I had to go to his house every week to help him figure problems out. He "upgraded" from Windows 98, which he never had any problems with. I convinced him to upgrade to XP and he never had a problem after that. That's what Vista is going to be.

surferb said:
Tim - I respectfully disagree. As far as I'm concerned the NT kernel was the best part about the Windows 2000 and XP start.
Your more up on computer technology than I am Nathan, but isn't the following referring to the abandonment of that foundation?
made major changes under the hood and led to considerable incompatibilities

Or am I misunderstanding my original quoted text to say that they are not actally polishing up Vista and they are going back to the 2000/XP platform and massaging the GUI to be more like Vista?
Microsoft is clearly looking to leave a far different first impression than it did with Windows Vista, which made major changes under the hood and led to considerable incompatibilities. With Windows 7, Microsoft is not introducing any major changes to the Windows kernel and is keeping much of the other plumbing substantially similar to that of Vista.

Last edited:
TWControls said:
Your more up on computer technology than I am Nathan, but isn't the following referring to the abandonment of that foundation?

Or am I misunderstanding my original quoted text to say that they are not actally polishing up Vista and they are going back to the 2000/XP platform and massaging the GUI to be more like Vista?

The first time I read it I thought they were going back to XP... then after your comment I thought they going to base it to Vista

I just hope its different :)