"Listening Device"

tcat_chucky

Good Morning All,

I work in a large mill and have recently been given the task of verifying all warning horns are working properly when tested. Not having the ability to be in 15 spots at once, I am curious if a device exists to "listen" at these different location.
Ideally, this would be a network device I could hose up to a plc and have the processor monitor the horns. Perhaps a canned system exists?
Has this topic been discussed elsewhere on the site? Perhaps you could point me in the write direction. My searches do not lead me anywhere.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

We have our horns activate by a lamp test function and the operators have a daily sheet to check safety gates work and the horn activates etc. The operators sign and date these daily and a single sheet holds a weeks data.

I have not used the following device, but it looks like it might work:

http://www.quest-technologies.com/Sound/261.htm

If the above lets you set the decibel level that activates the internal relay, then it should work.

If I were writing a program to verify the functioning of the horns, I would make sure you check that the sound level detector is not activated before turning on the horn and seeing if the sound level detector is activated once the horn is turned on. This would ensure that the sound level detector is not always staying activated; this way you are testing the horn and the sound level detector. (By activated I mean indicating that the minimum sound threshold has been acheived.)

I would take that Quest device that monitors the sound level and tie it's output pass/fail signal into Banner's SureCross wireless nodes as Inputs and that would let you know right away what the status of all your horns were at any test time.

Joe_WaZoo