Panasonic FP Series and encoders

rshealer

I'm doing something new for me in that I'm using a single channel encoder to track a web of labels as it moves past an inspection station. I'm using the Panasonic FPe PLC with the small display. It works well for a lot of our small projects.

I can successfully set a target value, execute an event when the counter reaches the target and reset it to happen again. Easy once I figured out the ancillary things that need to be turned on to make it work.

My question comes from understanding the proper usage of the counter. It seems to me that this functionality is limited to two events. The initial trigger and the final count. What I would like to do is use the encoder to find the downstream position of a marking device based on an initial trigger. When the position is reached the output is activated for n encoder pulses and then released. It seems that since the high-speed counter has dedicated registers for each channel I have only one thing I can do at a time. Can I somehow use a standard counter in conjunction with the main counter? Am I missing a technique here?

I'd love to read more on the subject in general, but have had limited success in finding a discussion. I've found a lot of answers here in the past by reading some else's questions, but I failed on this one.

For what it's worth my encoder frequency is approximately 1 kHz at full speed, so maybe the HS counter is overkill.

Rich Shealer