DriveLogix

infineum

I have a project to upgrade a centrifuge used to separate solids off of a slurry in a batch chemical plant. This is an old unit with an old VFD that regulates the speed of the bowl and relay logic to control things like the feed valves and oxygen analyzer. We need to replace the VFD so I was also going to add a small PLC to perform the simple relay logic plus add some functionality. I was looking at the DriveLogix system as a possibility since it appeares to encorporate a PLC with a drive. It looks like this system was designed for motion systems but I think it would work for this application. Any comments or experience with similar projects?

DriveLogix in reality is CompactLogix PLC processor, just in different form factor. I believe, that only PowerFlex700s phase 2 may be equipped with DriveLogix. DriveLogix is very powerfull and among other things allows to use PowerFlex drive as servo axis in motion applications. It will definitelly work in your application. I am not sure if this will be the most economical solution.PaulB

paulB said:
DriveLogix in reality is CompactLogix PLC processor, just in different form factor. I believe, that only PowerFlex700s phase 2 may be equipped with DriveLogix. DriveLogix is very powerfull and among other things allows to use PowerFlex drive as servo axis in motion applications. It will definitelly work in your application. I am not sure if this will be the most economical solution.PaulB
I 2nd the above.
Seems like an overkill for your application.
If the old VFD and relay logic controls were good enough for the application, a much cheaper vector drive VFD and a small PLC will be ahead by light years compared to the old set up.
I guess budget is an issue, if you don't have one, go for it.
At least it will be a good learning experience.

I very strongly agree that DriveLogix is overkill for this simple application. It's a powerful controller that provides sophisticated and fast connectivity between the high-performance PowerFlex 700S systems drive and a Logix controller, but I would not characterise it as easy to use. Unless you are an experienced user of PowerFlex 700S or 1336 FORCE drives, your learning curve will be steep.

Stick with an inexpensive controller that shares a communication protocol in common with your preferred AC drive. If I were asked to do an application like yours, I would probably start with the MicroLogix 1100 and a PowerFlex 40.

Ok

Sometimes we tend to look at what we find interesting rather than what is neccesary. It really is a simple application. I was actually looking into a micrologix and powerflex 40 combination for this application. I kind of like the compactlogix PLCs and that is where I encountered the drivelogix. I agree that it is overkill and will probably use the micrologix/poweflex combination. Thanks for the input.