RPM sensor for sprocket teeth

Greg640

Hello,

Is there anyone out there with experience getting an RPM signal off sprocket teeth and into an LG Master-K120S PLC?

I have hall-effect sensors picking up pulses from sprocket teeth. I have set the high-speed counter function in the PLC to the RPM function, with all the inputs and settings per the manual. But, no worky.

The Input Specification is 24VDC (7ma), with on voltage of 20.4-28.8VDC and off voltage of 6VDC. Do I need some kind of gizmo to get the hall-effect sensor signal up to the proper input voltages?

Thank you for any advise that may help.

which sensors do u use? something thats designed for the job or custom electronics? i searched hours last week for the right smd sensor for an electronics project couse i had to recognise the most smd sensors are only sensoring for ~40µs then have a wait cycle for 50-80ms before continuing sensing and are useless for fast signals.

The sensors were sold to me by a technician who says they are more than capable. I have a feeling that I need to amplify the voltage from the sensors before connecting to the PLC. But, I don't know how to do that. I would really appreciate a suggestion from anyone having experience with this sort of thing.

I repeat hpl's question:
hpl said:
which sensors do u use?
And what is the frequency of the pulses ?
To ask in another way, how many teeth on the sprocket and how fast does the sprocket rotate ?
With this information it is possible to give advice.

Hall effect sensors require the use of a magnet to conduct. A sprocket tooth does not produce a magnetic field, therefore a hall effect sensor will "no-worky". BITS AND BYTES has the right idea. A standard inductive proximity sensor should work just fine for your application.

jcallis2669 said:
Hall effect sensors require the use of a magnet to conduct. A sprocket tooth does not produce a magnetic field, therefore a hall effect sensor will "no-worky". BITS AND BYTES has the right idea. A standard inductive proximity sensor should work just fine for your application.

Not true, the Hall-Effect sensor details I posted DO NOT require a magnetic field. They are designed to work with Gear Teeth.:D

Never heard of that, but I will take your word for it. Every sensor I have ever used using the hall effect principle needed a magnetic field to excite the sensor. What is the difference in the one you detailed and an inductive proximity sensor??

It seams from the schematic, there is an internal magnet inside the sensor housing. I guess a ferrous metal interrupts the internal magnets lines of flux to in turn allow current flow. Man its amazing the gadgets they come up with these days.

There's a slight chance Greg is using an analogue sensor that can be connected directly to a speedometer.

But in fact, he's leaving us hanging... Please specify type and brand, Greg!

Thank you all! You're great! But no worky.

Thank you all for the great posts. I have the Red Lion magnetic pickups installed, per the manuals. 180 teeth per revolution and 1000 RPM is well within the frequency range specifications on the sensor and PLC. Still, no worky. I think my problem is that I can't quite figure out the LS Master-K 120 PLC High Speed Counter function. Anyone out there familiar with this PLC and function?