RSview ME Data Log/Trend Problem... no history

brettdawnj

I have read all the existing threads I can on this subject, but none seem to correct my problem. I have a Panelview Plus 1250 that I want to trend a production performance number on. It is running off of RS Studio View ME version 4.0.

My problem is that the trend chart will show data only as the screen is selected, but looses the data if not always on this screen.

Here is what I have:

Start-up has "Data Logging" checked and the name of the data log is "Run Ratio History"

Data Log Model is set-up with "Run Ratio History" as the model. Path is set for "Default" (I figure if I can get this mode to store data, then I can move to he custom one to allow for more space for data collection). I have 2 tags set up in the model and they are:

"[compactlogicplc]Run_Ratio_1st_Trend"
"[compactlogicplc]Run_Ratio_2nd_Trend"

The trend chart is set up with the following pens:
"[compactlogicplc]Run_Ratio_1st_Trend"
"[compactlogicplc]Run_Ratio_2nd_Trend"

What I have figured out so far, is that my pens are in this case polling directly off the plc instead of out of the Data Log Model of "Run Ratio History".

My problem is that for some reason, my tag browsing feature has not worked for sometime. Anytime I go to the "..." buttons, my system locks up and then I find that I have to close the RSView Studio ME application from within the Windows Task Manager Application tab.

I think that I need to put the proper tag name in from within the Tag Model and it may start working. I have tried to use the following as the tag names for within the model, but I am not sure what the format should be. Here is what I have tried:

"Run_Ratio_1st_Trend"
"Run_Ratio_2nd_Trend"

I am trying to run this in the test display mode on my development PC, but I am finding that my original tags with the shortcut to the plc work for logging when the screen is up, but the latest ones seem to do nothing. But the ones with the name without the shortcut to the plc do nothing but register zero all the time. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.

Brett

"[compactlogicplc]Run_Ratio_2nd_Trend" looks like not really correct syntacs. In my project it would looke more like {::[compactlogicplc]Program:MainProgram.Run_Ratio_2nd_Trend}.
Try to use RSView's online tag browser to pick a specific tag (if you online with PLC).

Val

I think the reason your tags look different in your tag browser is that you "Scope" for your illustrated tag is not a "Global" tag for your whole system, but a specific tag only for the "Program:MainProgram." area of your system.

My big problem is that my tag brower doesn't work as when I click on the ... button to find tags, it freezes up the application and the only way I can correct the problem is to close the application via Windows Task Manager. I think to correct this problem, I need to uninstall RSView Studio and RS Enterprises and then re-install them. Unfortuantly, I am out traveling and I don't have the original CD's to try this re-install.

If you have a Trend set up in one of your Panelview application that uses a "Data Log Model", what does the tag look like in the trend chart? Perhaps if I see the format, I can manually write one for my application and get this running.

Thanks for your suggestion,
Brett

My hats off to you Brownhat!!! I wasn't really looking to solve this problem with not being able to access the on-line tags with this thread, but your suggestion fixed my online tag browser from "freezing up". I guess the tag dialog box was actually coming up, but in a location that no one could see it or access it. This really helps for finding tags from the PLC.

Now my issue is back to finding the correct tag names for within the Data Logger Model. When I go to the tag browser for assigning pens, I only get the tags that come directly from the PLC to come up for browsing. What is the format of the tags that are stored on the local panelview in the "default storage location"?

I think if I can find this format, then I will be pulling the data from the "Data Log Model" storage instead of from the live PLC data. This way I will be able to access the history of these points.

Brett

I'm not sure if I have your answer concerning setting up the historical trending in View ME. If I remember right, when you configure the trend properties the "Data Log Model" is entered under the Pens tab, and the tags from the model are entered under the connections tab. I don't have my software in front of me to check on the tag format, or if it is something you can pick from a list.

Brownhat said:
o/t: thanks from me too, I ran into this today because I use two monitors with my laptop at my desk and only one on the floor.

Since this maybe a tricky issue such as me not have the right syntax or something on my set up, I have done a bunch of screen prints to show every aspect of my set up.

First is the screen to show that I am activating a "Data Log Model" This is (Startup Screen.JPG)

The next set is for the Data Log Model (Data Log Screen 1.JPG thru screen 4). I think the critical ones are #2 and #4.

Finally, you can see my Trend Screen Set up (Trend Object Screen 1.JPG thru screen 7). I think the critical ones here are #2 and #7.

I am including the other screens in case someone can find out something stupid that I am doing.

Also, you will see by the connections tab that I am trying various formats of the possible tag paths and addresses.

I would really be thankful if someone can help me with what I am doing wrong... as this shouldn't be hard. I wish AB had actual samples in their manuals or help for this type of thing... so we wouldn't have pull our hair out trying to get it right.

One thing to note is that Pen1 and Pen2 work fine when the screen is called up and live data is flowing in... but when you switch screens, and go back to the trend screen, I am missing the data and it is starting to trend a fresh graph again.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Brett

Trying to attach the screen prints again... first try they didn't seem to go with the posting. So here is another try.

Wow this didn't seem to work either, it said I already uploaded the photos.

Brett

Here goes 1 more try... sorry for the upload troubles. I put in all the jpegs, but they don't seem to come out. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Brett

Sorry everyone, I really messed up and didn't read the photo upload messages properly. I just might have it now.

The Start up screen:

js1024_Startup_Screen.jpg

More to come on the next pages.