panelview serial port question???

diat150

Lifetime Supporting Member
I know I can poll a modbus device using the panelview serial port... can I then take that data and pass it on to my contrologix plc some kind of way? sort of like what you can do with the red lion units? Id like to be able to hook the panelview serial port up to a modbus slave, grab the data that i need, and then pass that data on to the plc and from there I can grab the data and display onto wonderware. im trying to get out of buying another driver for wonderware or buying a prosoft card for the plc. has anyone ever done this?

Can you really Poll a modbus device from PanelView Serial Port? I have done similar using ActiveX components in FactoryTalk SE to read data via RS232 from sensors into Allen Bradley Panel PC. Using VB scripts I was able to "Feed" the CLX PLC with the data from the SCADA. Its certainly not an ideal way of doing this but it works fine.

If you dont want to purchase a Prosoft Card have you considered buying a cheap MicroLogix and configure the serial port for Modbus?

MorphuisOGrady said:
Can you really Poll a modbus device from PanelView Serial Port? I have done similar using ActiveX components in FactoryTalk SE to read data via RS232 from sensors into Allen Bradley Panel PC. Using VB scripts I was able to "Feed" the CLX PLC with the data from the SCADA. Its certainly not an ideal way of doing this but it works fine.

If you dont want to purchase a Prosoft Card have you considered buying a cheap MicroLogix and configure the serial port for Modbus?

yeah, you can poll a modbus device using the kepware, just not sure if you can pass it on to the processor and such.

I really was just looking for a way to do it a little differently. I was hoping I could make use of the panelview instead of having to buy a serial to ethernet bridge, prosoft card, or run wire to poll direct with the wonderware.