OT: Hydraulic pump swash plate angle sensor

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I posted this on a hydraulics forum, but since there are quite a few here who deal with hydraulics I'm double posting it.

I know that some hydraulic pump manufacurers offer an electronic swach plate angle sensor, but for pump manufacturers that do not offer one are there any options?

Try a throttle position sensor (TPS). These are used for modern fuel injected engines and often retro fitted to older injection systems.

Bosch make several models. They are high quality but low cost
potentiometers and should do the job very well. Google will find them.

Alaric,

If the pump has an externaly adjustable swashplate limiter. and you are handy in the machine shop. I would think a analog prox would work, if it were embeded into the swashplate limiter.

No problem with the machining, we have some very talented machinists, one of whom is the best I've ever seen - but I would rather not make direct modifications - I was hoping for something to attach to the angle indicator. Hawe has them built into the pumps and Rexroth offers them as an option but both are reporting six month to one year lead times for pumps, the US pump maker being used in an upcoming job doesn't offer the option.

fluidpower1 suggested using a flow meter on the hydraulic forum - that would accomplish almost the same thing, but a 6000 PSI 80 gpm flow meter will be expen$ive.

Last edited:
Alaric
Swash plate angle proportional to volume
Volume proportional to power

Therefore could you use motor current to approximate flow??
Discharge pressure also proportional to power is the foul factor in this idea but,,,,,,???

Dan Bentler

Excellent idea Dan, I like it. I already have an output pressure transducer on the pump and I use smart soft starters so I have motor power data back over ethernet. Its not really flow that I am after, its nice to have the swach plate angle because it makes a great diagnostic tool. Since the pumps are in a pit an angle sensor means Bubba doesn't have to crawl down there - but if I can infer whether the pump is doing work or not then that will be just a useful. Thanks for the idea, I knew the board would pull through.

Alaric said:
Excellent idea Dan, I like it. I already have an output pressure transducer on the pump and I use smart soft starters so I have motor power data back over ethernet. Its not really flow that I am after, its nice to have the swach plate angle because it makes a great diagnostic tool. Since the pumps are in a pit an angle sensor means Bubba doesn't have to crawl down there - but if I can infer whether the pump is doing work or not then that will be just a useful. Thanks for the idea, I knew the board would pull through.

Could you link the smart starters?
I've got a project that is decently high HP, doesn't require a VFD, but could use some diagnostics like the smart starters provide.

TIA,

Marc

Marc, I use AB's SMC-Flex for soft starters - the SMC=Flex line provides a boat load of data back.

Bud, I saw your link next door and looked at it. Thank you very much, I'll keep it in mind in case Dan's suggestion doesn't work out well.

Alaric said:
Marc, I use AB's SMC-Flex for soft starters - the SMC=Flex line provides a boat load of data back.
Bud, I saw your link next door and looked at it. Thank you very much, I'll keep it in mind in case Dan's suggestion doesn't work out well.

Alaric I am curious on two things
1. What kind of diagnostics will you do based on swash plate angle? Most of my hydraulic experience was with gear or screw type pumps. I know just enough to be dangerous with swash plate.
2. How well or not well my bright idea works out and why or why not.

Dan Bentler

leitmotif;
Due to a Swash Plate Pump operation you could have Low Flow at High Pressure or High Flow at Low Pressure and see the same Electric Motor Amps for both conditions.

The Formula HP=GPM*PSI*0.000583 shows Pressure or Flow modifies HP.

You can see my take on Variable Flow and Pressure Compensated Pumps at in the Ebook at this web site.
http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/eBooks/

Look in Chapter 8.

current

Monitoring current is a good tool for pump diagnostics. One of the drawbacks would be high current caused by mechanical problems. The flow meter is high-just bought a Hedland like this for $1600 but had to have it.

Setting a baseline for your motors would help Bubba. I know from experience that a 50 HP motor will draw 18-20 amps uncoupled and only slightly higher, 22 or so when driving a 125 cc Rexroth PC pump @ 2000 PSI when the pump is destroked(compensated). Amp draw will increase significantly when a DCV is shifted and there is a demand for fluid and work is done(pump comes on stroke).
Running multiple PC pumps in parallel will usually have one pump that wants to be the workhorse/lead dog even with the compensator setting the same-the other pumps will stay destroked(low current)
until system pressure erodes enough to bring them on stoke.
Maytag

leitmotif said:
1. What kind of diagnostics will you do based on swash plate angle?

2. How well or not well my bright idea works out and why or why not.

This is an application where 11 large diamter pistons are rapidly extended, then force is applied against a load that achieves static conditions at 5500 PSI, the pistons stop moving and pressure is maintained via servo valve to continously apply force.

We configure our pumps with dual high pressure/low flow and low pressure/high flow controls, lately we have been using electronic variable pressure and variable displacement controls on the pump. This lets us move the actuators very fast with high flow and low pressusre and then switch to high pressure low flow controls for force application. There are several advantages to that, one is that you can keep your motor size down and still use only one motor/pump. We also employ horspower limiting controls along with the pressue and displacement controls on the pump, which IMO is a good idea with high/low controls to keep the pump from being fully on stroke at high pressure and over amping the motor.

Once static pressurized conditions are achieved, one quick way to check and make sure that we don't have any internal leaks in any actuators is to look at the pump swash plate angle. If there is still displacement then fluid must be going somewhere. With the high flow/low pressure low flow/high pressure pump control arrangmenet its possible for internal leaks to go undetected for a long time because the pump has the ability to move more than enough volume to overcome significant leaks simply by brute strength - but with a penalty in increased load on the motor - as long as the leak is not so large that we reach the horsepower limit then the leak can go undetected. We can tolerate and overcome a leak in any one of the eleven pistons, but not two. Unscheduled downtime on these machines really hurts production in ways that virtually cripple the entire plant. The large diameter pistons take a long time to rebuild so we want to detect problems and schedule for maintenance instead of being caught by surprise as a bad time.

Right now we have operators and maintenance montitor the pump swash plate angle as part of regular PM checks however it is inconvenient, and as ya'll know, inconvenient checks don't always get done like they should be. The motor load data from the smart soft starter is available on diagnositcs screens available to the maintenance techs but not the operators. We also haven't trained our operators on what motor load means and some of our maintenance guys don't understand it but they get that if there is flow after the ring is closed there is a leak - so I have never emphasized it - and until your post it just didn't cross my mind that I could maybe develop a visual tool on the HMI to use motor load data to convey the information that someone may want to get out the ultrasonic ear and go listening for a leak or start looking for hot lines on the pistons. All I will need is some logic that indicates that the ring has closed and we are static and then an indicator that indicates if motor load is above the expected values at that state.

Bud is spot on, there are multiple flow/pressure solutions for a given motor load, but actual flow volume isn't what I needed anyway, just whether there is any flow or not. Since there is a pressure transducer I could use that in conjunction with motor load but I don't think It'll be necessary - I'm inaginaing a basic needle gage on the HMI with a green zone and a red zone and a warning message in the alarm banner. I'll have to empirically determine green/red conditions but that won't take long. Besides, we painted green and red lines on the pump above the swash plate angle indicator for the operators, this will be virtually the same. I don't know why I didn't think of it. Thanks again guys for the input and brain storming.

Last edited:
maytag said:
Running multiple PC pumps in parallel will usually have one pump that wants to be the workhorse/lead dog even with the compensator setting the same-the other pumps will stay destroked(low current)
until system pressure erodes enough to bring them on stoke.
Maytag

Maytag, have you ever considered using remote pressure compensation in that application? Instead of muliple pressure relief valves, one on each pump, a single remote pressure relief valve sets the compensator pressure for all pumps. Its vitually impossible to get mulitple reliefs all set exactly the same so using remote compensation may be one way to tackle that problem - unless of course you actually prefer to have one pump lead.

Yes, 6-8 years ago we tried this with 10 Rexroth AA4 pumps and the pump response was too slow-this was on electric arc furnace regulation.
Maytag