s7 help

Brijm

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a customer that has a machine to feed bullets to a spindle, and cuts a groove in them.... It's using a 226 CPU, with relay outputs... This machine will run 20,000 parts a day, and within a year, the relays are starting to go bad. I'm completly unfamiliar with Step 7, and it seems to be a completly different beast then other PLC's I've worked on. I moved a few of the outputs, to keep them going, but we need to switch to a solid state output.

I want to switch from a 216-2BD22-0XB0 to a 216-2AD22-0Xb0. After looking throught S7, I only saw a selection for 226 cpu, nothing that differentiates for the type of outputs or specific plc.... So my question is, can I simply just switch the brick PLC, for a solid state one, and not have to change anything in the program?

2nd OT question: Currently each output is going through a din rail mount fuse terminal. I was going to switch to an opto 22 G4 board, but all the ones we use, and I've seen are sinking input. And Siemens doesn't offer a 226 with sinking outputs. Does anyone know of a similar product (fused ssr's) that takes sourcing outputs... It needs to fit in a space not much bigger than 16 fused terminal blocks. The other option, is to go to one fuse and Allen Bradley 700 series relays to transfer the DC output to AC, but I would prefer to keep them individually fused.

Thanks

-MUR

In first place, you don't need S7 Help, but MicroWin Help.
In second place, if you change to a relay output CPU 6ES7 216-2BD23-0XB0 (new ref), the number of operating cycles is 10000000, so you will be replacing the output relays instead of the transistors in about 1.5 years.

The relay output CPU is: 6ES7 216-2AD23-0XB0. Sorry about that.
The ref. in the previous post is for the relay output. Yes you can swap the cpu's.

Sorry, I guess I need MicroWin Help... I'm completly unfamiliar with siemens, as it shows... I'm finding their software quite different from the other PLC's I've used (AB, Mitzubishi, CutlerHammer, AD)

The outputs are all going to solonoid coils, so I would like to isolate them from the field devices, and have the PLC drive a small non-inductive load, for longer life.... The outputs switch very quickly so I think, that solid state is the way to go....

I gather from your previous post, that I can change to either of these other 226 series plc's, without modifying the program... correct?

Here is a link to the S7-200 System Manual:

http://www2.sea.siemens.com/NR/rdon...614-8A94-086FA937DABD/0/S7200SystemManual.pdf

Yes you can change to the other version of program without modifying the code. Click on the PLC tab in Step 7-Micro/Win, and then click on type. Read PLC to match CPU version and you should be good to go.

FYI - The outputs you have know are rated for 10,000,000 no load or 100,000 full load (2.0 amps per point)

If you have room in the panel, and you are changing the CPU for DC outputs I would possibly invest in solid state relays so in the future you are not replacing CPU's.

Critt said:
Here is a link to the S7-200 System Manual:

http://www2.sea.siemens.com/NR/rdonlyres/C72CA812-8798-4614-8A94-086FA937DABD/0/S7200SystemManual.pdf

Yes you can change to the other version of program without modifying the code. Click on the PLC tab in Step 7-Micro/Win, and then click on type. Read PLC to match CPU version and you should be good to go.

FYI - The outputs you have know are rated for 10,000,000 no load or 100,000 full load (2.0 amps per point)

If you have room in the panel, and you are changing the CPU for DC outputs I would possibly invest in solid state relays so in the future you are not replacing CPU's.

Thanks, that is the plan... Especially with fast changing inductive loads, I have become a big fan of DC outputs to solid state relays. Customers appreciate, that relays are much easier to change than outputs as well.

ops sorry I see you are already installing relays. Well if you are tight for room phoenix contact makes terminal blocks that can be made into a fuse holders:
Phoenix Contact - 0921037 fits on their terminal blocks or the standard fuse holder:
Phoenix Contact - 3004126 fuse holder with indicator.

Hope that helps...