ACS350 Fieldbus Adapters

Tharon

So, I have a bunch of ACS350 ABB Drives using FPBA-01 Profibus Adapters.

Occasionally the adapters lose all power (All three LEDs completely turn off), and need to be shifted, unpluged, pluged in (To the drive, not the profibus connector), and just plain fiddled with to get power back to them. (Like a loose connection)

ABB is saying that the issue is when the mounting screws are over tightened the part of the adapter that plugs in is pulled out a bit and make the problem happen. I think this is kind of a cop-out answer but I can't prove it.

Currently when ever the issue happens we have to spend the next couple hours just poking and proding until they work for the next "who knows how long" period of time.

Does anyone have any experience with these Drives and the Profibus Adapters, and the problem at hand?

It happens during normal operation, everything has power. I cannot tell you what is the Master. I did not program the machine and have very little knowledge about profibus

The adapter just suddenly acts like it was unplugged from the drive. The problem is not the profibus connection. We have replaced the profibus connectors and the profibus adapters. There are 3 status LEDs on the Adapter that flash green/red for various network errors. When this problem occurs all three LEDs turn off completely. ABB says the issue is with the Drive - Adapter connection, yet there is no solution.

I'm just curious if anyone has stumbled across the problem and came up with a solution themselves?

Tharon, I'm the ABB rep is lower Michigan and I'm curious if you are talking directly with ABB Tech Support or maybe thru some distributor or other intermediary.

The comments you have gotten don't sound like the kind of response I would expect from ABB Tech Service and would like to help get this resolved.

You can contact me via email but I have to scramble my email address here to avoid the spammers. It is my initials rbdv, then the numbers 01, then the and symbol, then gmail, then a dot, then the usual com.

Hope that works for you. Looking forward to working with you on this.

Well. The answer was given to us through the OEM, who is from out of state. We contacted them about a problem with their machine, and they told us the issue was with the ABB drives and they had contacted their distributor with the problem before with other customers.

I'll get you some info on the drives and a better explanation of the problem. Unfortunately management wants to go through the OEM for all the problems since the entire machine is still under warranty.