would need B&R Support

SPS_AT

Hi all,

We use an old B&R Minicontrol CP31 with NT30 (built year 1994/95) for our hydropower plant.

Nobody has made any modifications on the program since the last 10 years.

But now, we like (need) to make
a) a backup of the program/data installed on the CP31 and
b) some minor modifications.

Therefore I've bought an online cable BRKAOL5.
I've an old Pentium PC with a centronics and a serial interface.

What do I need as the software to do this up- and download?

I hope anyone out there will help.

Thank you.

Dic

Considering that B & R is an Austrian Company and YOU are located in Austria, I find it hard to believe that you don't contact them first before posting a question on this forum!!

L-----A-------Z-------Y

B&R CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS Bernecker + Rainer Industrie-Elektronik Ges.m.b.H.
B&R Strasse 1
5142 Eggelsberg
Phone +43 (0)7748/6586-0 Fax +43 (0)7748/6586-26 Email [email protected]

You won't believe, I've done this a week ago.

I gave them a call and what they tried to do is to sell me a new one.
As you know, I don't need a new one. I just want to save the installed data and wanna make some minor modifications, if possible.

So, please don't call me LAZY.

If anyone can help your assistance is very welcome.

Dic

Sorry i cant help but in my experience B&R are a poor company selling poor products with poor support, upgrade to a real PLC and you wont regret it.

If I am not mistaken the name of the software you require is called ProSys. It is dos based but does work under winxp as I have tried it with success.

When I first got into working with B&R about 7 years ago since I was unfamiliar with them we contracted out and B&R sent in a rep for a training and also some hands on. Did not have to much trouble getting them to support their product here in the USA. And they also gave us a CD which contained the Dos based program and also the entire instruction set with very good details on useage and format.

SPS_AT said:

As you know, I don't need a new one. I just want to save the installed data and wanna make some minor modifications, if possible.

Dic

SPS_AT said:

Dic

Why didn't you say this in your original post?
There are a large number of posts on this site where it would seem that people are just plain LAZY and do not bother do some of their own basic research [like downloading and reading manuals, calling the manufacturer for support] before posting a question. Seems like I was mistaken in your case, please excuse me!:oops:

mrtweaver said:
If I am not mistaken the name of the software you require is called ProSys. It is dos based but does work under winxp as I have tried it with success.

When I first got into working with B&R about 7 years ago since I was unfamiliar with them we contracted out and B&R sent in a rep for a training and also some hands on. Did not have to much trouble getting them to support their product here in the USA. And they also gave us a CD which contained the Dos based program and also the entire instruction set with very good details on useage and format.
Not absolutely sure but I think you will not be able to upload the entire program.
Somehow you'll need to have the original code, modify, re-complie and download to the controller.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Not absolutely sure but I think you will not be able to upload the entire program.
Somehow you'll need to have the original code, modify, re-complie and download to the controller.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

from Memory you can upload, but it's in (almost) pure machine code (assembler) and if you know the mnemonics you could do some mods if you're careful, but watch out for the B&R library functions such as for message displays, etc

btw - anyone know where I can get a programming cable? Still waiting for B&R to reply (BRKAOL5 ??). We have a copy of ProSys (on floppy, but will load onto USB memory