Panelview - Mapping Tags - Me Stupid

mrhhassan

I'm stupid and have little expereince with these things so please help because for the life of me I can't work this out:

I'm trying to get an RSLogix 5000 program running on an CompactLogic L20 with a Panelview 300 Micro.

The Logix program refers to various B3 tags - now I know these refer to the Panelview but I have no idea what they represent. For example

I have rungs like If B3:0/0 is on latch output to B3:2/5...

Is there anyway I can find out what this means?
I have mapped file number 3 to B3 in RSLogix 5000 so I think it works ut I would like to know what is stored where.

I seem to recall finding a webpage with reserved numbers for mapping - I think Timers were 4 and Counters were 5 but I can't remember where I saw this page and I can't find it again - can anyone clue me in?

Also the program I am working with was converted from an RS 500 program. One of the tags in the 500 program was called S:1/15 - (which is labelled first pass - presumably the first time the program starts do the following?) which does not convert - it became a new tag called conversion.error

Is this first pass thing easily rectified by me creating a tag that triggers on first run (check is this is on or something) executing all the other outputs required when first starting) and then changes the original trigger to a different state so it doesn't go off again?

Many thanks for trying to make sense of my gibberish.

The second question is the easiest; ControlLogix family controllers have a system tag called "S:FS" that functions the same as the first pass bit in the SLC-500 Status File.

Just take a re-address the instruction that used S:1/15 with "S:FS".

As for the rest, that'll take some explaining. More news later.

Yes, the first part of your question takes more of an explanation. As you may know, under the main options of RS5000 (Logic menu) you can map tags for use by other components. It's not a matter of what the default tag types are because in 5000 it's irrelavent. You can name tags whatever you please. Since this is a conversion you must make sure that the same series of tags are mapped to the same file that the panelview is searching for.

For example, in the original program configuration the Panelview may have been using Int tags from file 30. In the plc they were mapped as N30. Now, in the new version they must be mapped to the tags that contain the same info as the original. Maybe they are still N30, or if you want to you could rename them Touch30, or whatever. They important thing is that both the plc and the panelview are using the same tag locations and dimensions.

Does this help or did I misunderstand?

mrhhassan,

Others have answered parts of your question, so I will pick out one part too: You asked:

"I have rungs like If B3:0/0 is on latch output to B3:2/5...
Is there anyway I can find out what this means?"

That has been a big problem from Day 1 for PLC programs. If you do not have the original program, it is hard to duplicate the database descriptions and comments. I look forward to the day when the database is stored along with the program in the CPU memory. Then if you can access the program, you will have everything.

There are no generic standards, but you mentioned B3. Traditionally in Allen-Bradley / Rockwell lingo, this meant Binary File 3. B3 was meant to be used for single-bit functions, as opposed to things that need whole "words". But that only tells you which memory location was used, not what the physical function was.

To know what each memory location was used for in the original program, you would need some additional data, namely, the datatabase that was attached to the original program disk file. If you have a copy of the original program disk, before it was converted, and it is not too large, you can go through and make a list or a print-out and manually transfer the comments and descriptions over to the new program. Also, RSLogix has an option, when you save a file, you can choose whether or not to "export" the database. If you export it, then it will be saved with the program. Apparently yours was not. If you do not have the original program, then you might find an electrical drawing showing the inputs and outputs (from which you can eventually figure out much of the logic), or an old program printout containing the descriptions.

First off thanks for all the responses - this program is giving me a real headache an is a horrible introduction into PLC programming. I'd rather try to do the thing from scratch and learn things as I go along but my superiors want this "quick" so have told me not to waste time on that.

This is what I did:

Before mapping:

I have a panelview 300 micro connected to the compactlogix running a program converted from a micrologix 1200 that used to run the same application on the panelview - the panelview would give me a 208 error (error in writing to device or something.) I was told this was because I had not set up the mapping properly.

I edited the original panelbuilder application to use a compactlogix node instead of a micrologix node.

What I did with mapping:

In Panelbuilder the Panelview tags were given addresses like N7:10 etc. My converted program had all of those tags directly. I gave the real tags (inputs/outputs) aliases to the appropriate modules I was using on the compact logix.

I then (in RSLogix 5000) Went into logic->Map PLC/SLC and proceeded to map things like N7 to file number 7.

When I restarted by 208 error had dissapeared!...unfortunately the panelbuilder application had a number of screens and on some screens I would get a 683 File Access error. On said screens I would notice that some numerical indicators were (****) rather than zeroes or whatever. When I checked those tags they were mostly of the form:

C5:2.ACC or something similar...

Are my counters mapped properly? I have a number of tags referring to C5 tags which I mapped simply using file number 5 mapped to C5. I did something similar to my timer (file 4 to T4 tag.)

The tags that would not display (*** instead) were:

C5:0.ACC
C5:4.ACC
C5:3.ACC
T4:7.ACC

And N7:10 which had it's value determined by N15[C5_0_ACC] - (Can anyone explain indirect addressing by the way?)

Maybe I am grasping at straws but if these tags are working properly should they dispay a number? (Even if it is just zero).

Okay back to work...

Where you went exactly right is here:

I then (in RSLogix 5000) Went into logic->Map PLC/SLC and proceeded to map things like N7 to file number 7.

Your original PanelView application referenced the following MicroLogix data tables:

B3:0 - 3
C5:0 - 4.ACC
N11:0 - 6
N12:1 - 11
N13:1 - 3
N7:0 - 20
O:1.0
T4:1 - 7.ACC

The direct Output reference you'll have to work around; find the tag and re-assign it to something like N7:21.

The others you probably already have done: in the Map PLC/SLC Addresses table you will have mapped Files 3, 7, 11, 12, and 13 to the array tags that the conversion process created for you. All those likely work now.

The *.ACC Accumulated values might be a problem, though. ControlLogix uses three 32-bit elements per Timer and Counter, and SLC/MicroLogix uses three 16-bit elements per Timer and Counter. I don't know if mapping File 5 to the "C5" counter array will work. You might have to add logic to your CompactLogix to move, say T4[0].ACC to an array tag element that you then address as N15 or something similar in the PanelView.

It was my impression that COMPACT Logix does use 16 bit intergers. (Is that because the modules have to be compatible with both compact logix and micrologix processors?)

Last edited: