Writing to/displaying array element values with RSView

Paul351W

I am working on an RSView project that was converted from a 1400e series panelview and PLC-5 setup. I had quite a number of momentary push buttons on the screen addressed to block transfer integer addresses using the bits of the integer words for the push button write and display tags.

I was trying to do the same in the Control Logix / RSView setup, and I am getting errors when I try to enter an address like
[209-1]N20[41].0 for the tag connection. The N20 array in the PLC is DINT. Does the RSView software not allow array element access, or is there something I am missing?

Hi,
So.. the old comms were RIO. Are the new comms the same? You say RSview, does that mean RSView ME? Or RSView SE? or RSView32?
If ME or SE, I don't think a dint is going to fly on RIO. RIO is the most difficult comms method to use on PV+. It's doable with a PV+ & PLC-5, I have never attempted PV+ & CLX via RIO. Can't think of why I would want to torture myself that way. I use Ethernet whenever possible.
Good Luck
BD
Might save time to just start over with addressing.

The new setup is RSView ME with a PanelviewPlus and Control Logix communicating over ethernet/IP. The old RIO tags will be deleted and things will be directly routed to the CL tag table.

I was trying to use bits in a DINT array to avoid some re-tagging in the program, but RSView ME doesn't seem to want to let me use bit level addresses with DINT's.

Paul,
PV+ and CLX over E'Net are a good match.
It's a little more work (bit bangin) to get rid of all the "OLD" PLC5 addressing methods, but it's worth it. Feels good to see it go actually, kind of like letting go. I'm a little bit of a control freak myself. Change is only good if I can control the change I say. Change usually has the side benefit of a good cleaning along the way. Resistance is futile.

All that said, you certianly can pick bits out of a CLX DINT over E'net to use as PB signals. Easiest way is to use the tag browser to pick the bits from a CLX off-line or on-line file. I make too many errors if I try to type them all in individually. If you don't have the CLX program files handy, you can still enter them by manually typing in the syntax/address. The getting results guide for RSView ME should have all the correct syntax information. See the picture below. This is the old addressing method & syntax. For a CLX Dint I think it is ::[shortcutname]tagname.bit here the dot is used as the word (dint) to bit seperator instead of the "Old" slash.

Tag_Browser.jpg

BD

Edit:
try this syntax for a CLX array of dints.
{::[shortcutname]tagname[arrayvalue].bit}
for example:{::[PLC]tag_1[2].6}
Where "tag_1" is the array of dints and "[2]" is the dint.

BD
Reason=typo

I talked to someone here at work that has played with them more than me, and it seems that I was just missing the { } braces around the address.

I had [209-1]N20[41].0 before and was getting errors, I changed it to {[209-1]N20[41].0} and now it works just fine. I did have to add the ".0" to the end of the tag I selected from the tag browser tree though. Another one of those things where an improved help file could save some head scratching.