Ethernet to SLC-504

clete jackson

I have a DH+ network of 18 nodes. It has a LOT of traffic on it. I need to connect another network (Ethernet) to each of the PLCs. I cannot use the DH+(overloaded already) network and each PLC's serial port is being used by a MMI display. My only option is finding a third part card maker that makes an "Ethernet" card that will plug into the SLC rack. Can anyone direct me to a MFG. that does this. Also because I need 18 of these cards...............will it be affordable?
Thanks,
Clete

Check these out

I got sent this link a while ago Ethernet on SLC I can't rember how much they cost but i do rember they where cheaper that upgrading to SLC 5/05's.

Hope this helps Jerry

ditch the DH+

If you add ethernet you could ditch the DH+ by remapping the words to ethernet. Unless of course you're sending info via DH+ to drives or Panelviews...I'm sure you could cut down on traffic though between PLC's.

Single piece price for the Prosoft Ethernet card from my local vendor is around $1350.00 US Dollars. I suspect you would get a discount for such a quantity as you have.

I also believe that the Prosoft card will talk to more devices than the 5/05 processor from many queries to vendors with ethernet enabled equipment. I suppose, as with everything else, Rockwell has it's own flavor of Ethernet just different enough to be incompatable with the general public.... banghead

ndzied1 said:
I suppose, as with everything else, Rockwell has it's own flavor of Ethernet just different enough to be incompatable with the general public.... banghead

Rockwell has two applications layers. One is CSP that runs on SLCs and PLC5s. Ethernet/IP is used by the ControlLogix.

From my perspective the Rockwell protocols are used by the 'general public'. As many know we make motion products that communicate using Ethernet. Over 90% of our product using Ethernet are used with Rockwell PLCs. Ethernet/IP rocks.

Clete, from what you are saying , throughput is important. I would first get one card on a loaner basis and a SLC5/05 too. Then do a speed speed and programming test. I have posted a TCPDemo that can be used to do the speed test. Here is the link again.

Ethernet TCP Demo. Can be used to test performance.

From my perspective the Rockwell protocols are used by the 'general public'. As many know we make motion products that communicate using Ethernet. Over 90% of our product using Ethernet are used with Rockwell PLCs. Ethernet/IP rocks.

I guess that goes to prove I shouldn't talk about what I don't know about. utoh I should have mentioned that I have never actually used the Prosoft card or a SLC 5/05. I have quoted a system with some Emerson Servo's w/ ethernet capability and emerson said they could not talk to the SLC 5/05 and that I would need the Prosoft card. The real bummer was that the customer speced a 5/05 so I need that anyway and would have to pay for ethernet twice. Also wanted to do serial to Ethernet conversion on some gauge columns and try to get that data to a SLC and couldn't find a reasonable solution.

Peter, I didn't know you worked for Delta... another product I have read much about but haven't had a chance to use in an application. Cool article on controlling the ship for the movie... I forget the publication ... must have been Control Engineering or Hydraulics and Pneumatics.

THIS IS BIG!!!!!

ndzied1 said:

Peter, I didn't know you worked for Delta...

I haven't advertised that or tried to keep that a secret.
I have posted enough links so that I thought is was fairly obvious. So now you now what my avatar is.

ndzied1 said:

Cool article on controlling the ship for the movie... I forget the publication ... must have been Control Engineering or Hydraulics and Pneumatics.

It is in Hydraulics and Pneumatics. See the article of the month at
Fluid Power Web the editors of Hydraulics and Pneumatics.

The guys who actually installed this system said it was a fun project. They had control of the horizontal and vertical while people were on board. I wonder what the insurance premiums were on this?