Control Logix and DP/DP comm

avi_tzachi

hello,
I have Control logix controller with profibus card commiunicate to S7 through DP/DP device. my profibus card is Woodhead.
1. How do I configure my card ?
2. How do I read the value that send to me ?
3. How do I send value to the S7 controller ?

Thanks,
Avi

Hello Avi;

First, as usual, some documentation. This manual from Siemens is very clear and easy to follow; it shows all the details of the installation and commissioning of a DP/DP coupler:
http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/1179382

Now, a quick review:
The DP/DP coupler is a Profibus slave with 2 DP interfaces, one for each of the 2 master's buses. You setup 2 distinct addresses on the coupler, using dipswitches dedicated to each interface. (There are other switches to set, check the manual). You then have to install the Profibus-DP and power cables properly. Physically, the DP/DP coupler is nw ready to be configured.

On each of the masters, the Controllogix and the S7, you need to configure one of the slave addresses you have setup on the DP/DP coupler, after inserting the GSD file in the master's configurator if needed. So each master will be connected (and recognise on its bus) one single slave from the coupler.

Now here is the issue that you must keep in mind: the I/O addresses you setup on each side of the DP/DP coupler must be crossed. Whatever is output by one master must be input by the other, and vice -versa.
Here is an example of what I mean by this:
The Controllogix master wants to write 12 words to the S7 master, the S7 master needs to send 32 bytes of data to the Controllogix.
So the Controllogix I/O configuration for its DP/DP coupler must be 12 words OUT and 32 Bytes IN; the configuration for the S7 for its side of the DP/DP coupler must be 32 Bytes OUT, 12 Words IN.
Of course, if you have further data to exchange, you can setup as many modules as needed on each master, simply ensure that whatever is OUT for one master is IN for the other.

With this setup there is no other programming or configuration to do, except mapping your data to the IN/OUT addresses reserved for the data transfer.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Thanks for your replay.

I want to be more specific.
1. Where do I set (RSLogix) how many addresses is for the inputs and how many addresses is for outputs?
2. Where do I set (RSLogix) the first address for inputs & outputs in the slave or is it already set in the gsd file?

If it is in the gsd file, is the first address for the inputs in the slave is always address 0 in the RSLogix array inputs (Local:x:I.Data[0])?

Again, thank you very much.
Avi

Hello Avi;

A quick answer for now: all this is determined in the SST Profibus configuration file. The offset of the data for the coupler will be determined by the rank you give the DP/DP coupler in your configuration. If it is the 3rd slave (for example) the offset will come after the IO addresses of the preceding slaves.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier