shut down light flashes

sas11

Hello all

I am trying to make a circuit that will flash a light different amounts of flashes for for each alarm. for example on for 1 sec off for 1sec for a total off five times over and over again. indicate motor overload etc... for each shut down.
I have been trying with an on timer and a off timer with a counter but am not having any luck. I am using direct logic with a with an 05 controller. Can anyone get me headed in the right direction?
Thanks
DT

Last edited:
I have a section of code I wrote to do that very chore, in a A-B SLC. Perhaps you can modify it.

Basically each alarm latches a bit and loads a value - the number of flashes - into a counter preset. Then each time a flasher timer is done, increment the counter. When the counter is done, pause for a second and then re-start until reset by a pushbutton.

I am trying to post the code here... nope.

Look for fault_code.rss in the A-B RS500 section...

Nice and tidy Rotatech :)
I think I am correct in saying that this wont cope with 2 alarms at same time will it?

I have attached one for 8 items that I did (with help from here) that can cope with more than one fault.
(Glad I commented it!!!)

Last edited:
Thanks!
Correct, it will just display the first one.
But then, the beacon would attract a supervisor, and he/she would see the fault.
This machine was quite simple, and could not have more than one fault. (unless someone dumoped the air or e-stop mid-cycle). But it does show the faults in order of mostly likely root cause.

sas11 said:
Thanks for the help, but I do not know anything about AB and just trying to learn DL

I think that if you read through some of these ladders you should get the general idea of how they are working. I dont know how DL looks/works but I would have thought that the logic, counters and timers should work in a similar way?

If it was me I would print out RoTaRechcs PDF and try to copy it into your DL software.

You could use vmem locations for your presets, and when you usually put a "K" value for the counter, use the vmem location that you are writing to.

motor fault= ld k5, out v2000
machine empty= ld k4, out v2000

Then just use v2000 as your preset for the counter with sp4 for your one second on/off.

I hope this helps.

DT,

I posted an alarm routine back in 2005 (I wrote it many years before that) that does what you want with 2-bit flasher codes. You can have up to 99 alarm points, each with a unique flash code. The program is set up to allow new alarms to be easily added, using only timers, counters, and V-memory. There is an Automation Direct DL-05 program copy here in the DOWNLOADS section (see your top menu bar).

http://www.plcs.net/downloads/index.php?PHPSESSID=79889dd348f5e3141718b602571d56c7&direction=0&order=&directory=Automation_Direct&PHPSESSID=79889dd348f5e3141718b602571d56c7

The times are not 1 second on, 1 second off. I found the 1-second off to be much too long. Some operators assumed it had quit working when the alarm went off for 1 second. I think I used about 0.7 seconds off and 1.2 seconds on for each flash code. That seemed to be more operator-friendly.

Last edited:
Here is a PDF copy of the DL-06 program, for those who do not have the DirectSOFT program software. I think there is also an RSLogix500 version that I saved in the DOWNLOADS section.

Lancie1
I have been trying to understand how your program works. Some of it is over my head, but i am sure once i get it going it will definately help my learning curve. My test plc is a dl05. The dl05 does not have the LCD box type. Can you help with what this function is or a comparable one in the dl05?
Thank
DT

After doing something similar, but on a much smaller scale, I have abandoned anything like this. There is nothing like having different operators trying to remember what 4 flashes are versus 6 flashes. What if he misses the first flash? what if he gets bored counting past 3 flashes? Everyone will have to have little cheat sheets to remember what everything is.

I would just put on 1 alarm light and maybe a simple HMI to show the fault. It will work out much better in the end.

As a side note, a lot of the machines I started up came with music playing alarms. There is nothing like hearing someone yell, we have a "Mary had a little lamb" on machine 2 and an "Eye of the Tiger" on the feed system.